Guru Granth Sahib varsity VC shot at, injuredAugust 1st, 2011 - 6:53 pm ICT by IANS
Fatehgarh Sahib (Punjab), Aug 1 (IANS) The vice chancellor of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib University (SGGSU), launched in this Sikh holy city last week, was shot at and seriously injured by two assailants here, police said.
Jasbir Singh Ahluwalia was rushed to a local hospital in the city, from where he was referred to the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) in Chandigarh.
His condition is said to be serious, police said.
Ahluwalia was earlier vice-chancellor of the Punjabi University at Patiala.
The SGGSU, set up by the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC), had begun its first academic session last Monday.
- SGPGC's Sri Guru Granth Sahib university launched - Jul 25, 2011
- Slap murder charge if holy book is damaged: SGPC - Sep 29, 2011
- Granth Sahib University to commence session March 2011 - Dec 16, 2009
- Non-baptised Sikhs can vote in SGPC polls: Court - Dec 20, 2011
- Punjab: where politics and religion mix well (Punjab Newsletter) - Dec 31, 2011
- Assure Indians of safety: Krishna to US (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- SGPC not averse to printing Guru Granth Sahib abroad - Feb 14, 2010
- From translation screens to ACs, gurdwaras go hi-tech (Feature) - May 02, 2012
- Security stepped up around Haryana gurdwaras - Sep 13, 2010
- Sehajdhari Sikhs want cancellation of SGPC poll - Dec 21, 2011
- Printing of Guru Granth Sahib allowed abroad - Sep 22, 2010
- Sikh group leaves for Pakistan to mark Baisakhi with relatives - Apr 11, 2010
- Sikh massacre: SGPC asks PM for probe - Feb 24, 2011
- Non-baptised Sikhs can vote in SGPC polls: Court (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Gurdwara committee polls slated for Sep 18 - Jul 28, 2011
Tags: academic session, ahluwalia, assailants, fatehgarh sahib, graduate institute, guru granth sahib, holy city, jasbir singh, last monday, local hospital, medical education, post graduate, punjabi university, sgpc, shiromani gurdwara, sikh, sri guru granth sahib, vice chancellor