Gurgaon administration asks highway authority to ensure road safetyJanuary 17th, 2009 - 12:15 am ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, Jan 16 (IANS) Expressing its concern over the number of accidents taking place on the Delhi-Gurgaon-Jaipur expressway (National Highway No. 8), the Gurgaon district administration Friday asked the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) to ensure safety of the road users. In a letter to NHAI project director, Gurgaon Deputy Commissioner Deepti Umashankar pointed out that the administration had noticed an increase in number of accidents on NH-8 due to non-adherence of road safety measures.
The administration has asked NHAI and the construction company to take effective steps, failing which action could be initiated.
Umashankar clearly pointed out that the expressway builder, DS Construction Company, was not adhering to the concession agreement where it has been prescribed that safety and traffic management would be attended satisfactorily by the company to ensure safety of the road uses.
As per the concession agreement the company was to operate and maintain the project highway during the concession period so as to permit safe, smooth and uninterrupted flow of traffic during normal operating conditions.
Umashankar pointed out that slow moving vehicles like scooters, motorcycles, cycles, rickshaws, animal and tractor drawn vehicles are barred from plying on the main carriageway but the company and NHAI were unable to stop these from entering the expressway, leading to accidents.
- Criminal case against Delhi-Jaipur highway builder - Aug 28, 2012
- No toll on Delhi-Gurgaon expressway for 15 days: Court - Sep 04, 2012
- DGSCL files contempt petition against NHAI - Mar 27, 2012
- 'Accidents rise on Delhi-Gurgaon expressway' - Apr 13, 2012
- Haryana to invoke penalty for delayed expressway project - Nov 16, 2011
- Operator charges toll at two Gurgoan plazas - Sep 05, 2012
- Hooda conducts aerial inspection of new expressway - Dec 21, 2010
- L&T; arm signs Rs.2,600 crore agreement with NHAI - Jun 22, 2011
- Haryana expressway to de-congest Delhi traffic delayed again - Dec 23, 2010
- Jam free traffic promised on Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway - Sep 19, 2012
- L&T; arm signs Rs.2,600 crore highway construction agreement (Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
- Court restrains NHAI on contract termination - Mar 02, 2012
- National Highway No:1: India's melancholy road - Jul 01, 2011
- Ramky Infra bags two road projects worth Rs.2,240.65 crore - Dec 01, 2011
- India's first RFID technology toll comes up near Chandigarh - Apr 19, 2012