Gurdwara shooting: US envoy offers condolences (Lead)August 6th, 2012 - 6:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 6 (IANS) US Ambassador Nancy Powell Monday met Sikh leaders here to express grief over the shooting of six people in a gurdwara in Wisconsin.
Powell called on the Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee to voice her and her government’s sorrow over the wanton killings Sunday when a gunman opened fire at the Sikh temple.
“Nancy Powell met us and offered condolences on behalf of President Barack Obama. She expressed grave concern over the issue,” Sardar Paramjit Singh Sarna said.
Powell, who visited the Gurdwara Rakab Ganj here, assured the support of the US to the Sikh community in her country.
“She assured us that steps will be taken to ensure no such incidents take place in the future,” Sarna said.
A statement from the US embassy also expressed condolences to the Sikh communities in the US and India.
“We are deeply saddened by the senseless loss of lives and injuries caused by the Aug 5 shooting. Our hearts, thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families,” said the statement.
It described the incident as tragic, “especially when it happens in a place of worship”.
“The US takes very seriously the responsibility to respect and protect people of all faiths. Religious freedom and religious tolerance are fundamental pillars of US society,” it said.
“The Sikh community in the US contributes to this principle and meaningfully enhances the American social fabric,” it added.
- Gurdwara shooting: US envoy offers condolences (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- US envoy offers condolences (Third Lead, correcting para four) - Aug 06, 2012
- US embassy mourns Sikh deaths in Winconsin - Aug 06, 2012
- US gurdwara shooting: DSGMC to compensate Delhi victims' kin - Aug 07, 2012
- PM expresses shock over US gurudwara killing - Aug 06, 2012
- If killer had accomplice, will be punished: US envoy - Aug 10, 2012
- Ex-US soldier kills six in gurdwara, India outraged (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Obama denounces Sikh Gurudwara shooting - Aug 06, 2012
- Visit a Delhi gurdwara, Sikh leader to Obama - Oct 28, 2010
- US assures India of full probe into gurdwara shooting - Aug 06, 2012
- Assure Indians of safety: Krishna to US (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Bollywood condemns gurdwara shooting - Aug 06, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting: Obama calls Manmohan; conveys people's solidarity - Aug 09, 2012
- India in touch with US government over shooting - Aug 06, 2012
- India in touch with US over gurudwara killing (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: barack obama, condolences, delhi sikh gurdwara management, fundamental pillars, grave concern, gunman opened fire, nancy powell, paramjit singh, place of worship, religious freedom, religious tolerance, sarna, senseless loss, sikh community, sikh gurdwara management committee, sikh leaders, sikh temple, social fabric, thoughts and prayers, us embassy