Gurdwara shooter motivated by hate: RomneyAugust 8th, 2012 - 11:39 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 8 (IANS) Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney called for a moment of silence in honour of the victims of Sunday’s tragic shooting at a Wisconsin gurdwara, saying the gunman was “motivated by hate”.
The tragedy that claimed the lives of six worshippers at the Oak Creek suburb of Milwaukee “is even more profound because the Sikh religion and the Sikh people are such peaceable, loving individuals”, he said at a campaign event Tuesday in Elk Grove, Illinois.
“And I think it is also more tragic because the shooter was apparently someone who was motivated by hate - hate based on race, hate based on religion,” he said referring to the suspected shooter Wade Michael Page, who was shot dead by a police officer.
“For all those reasons this is something which touches us very deeply. In our moment of silence I certainly pray that God might rest the souls of those who lost their lives and comfort those that mourn.”
Later speaking to about 280 supporters at a fundraiser in West Des Moines, Iowa, Romney said that “it was a tragedy for many, many reasons”.
“Among them are the fact that people, the Sikh people are among the most peaceable and loving individuals you can imagine, as is their faith. And of course, the person who carried out this heinous act was a person motivated by racial hatred and religious intolerance.”
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mitt Romney confuses 'Sikh' with 'sheikh' - Aug 08, 2012
- Michelle Obama to meet gurdwara shooting victims' families (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting: FBI hunts for motive (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- India in touch with US over gurdwara shooting - Aug 06, 2012
- Sikh panel guides families in coping with shooting trauma - Aug 13, 2012
- India in touch with US over gurudwara killing (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- US sleuth links gurdwara shooting with Sikh murders - Aug 18, 2012
- FBI asked to track anti-Sikh hate crimes - Sep 20, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting victims remembered at vigils - Aug 08, 2012
- Obama offers full support to Sikhs who have enriched US (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Was the gurdwara shooter a white supremacist? (Third Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- 'Their tears would make an ocean overflow' - Aug 08, 2012
- Ex-US soldier kills six in gurdwara, India outraged (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Michelle Obama to meet families of gurdwara shooting victims - Aug 19, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting gunman identified as ex-soldier (Fourth Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: arun kumar, campaign event, elk grove illinois, fact that people, fundraiser, gunman, heinous act, honour, loving individuals, mitt romney, moment of silence, police officer, racial hatred, religious intolerance, republican presidential candidate, shooter, sikh religion, west des moines, west des moines iowa, worshippers