Gurdwara committee polls slated for Sep 18July 28th, 2011 - 8:54 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, July 28 (IANS) After a delay of many months, the union home ministry has given its go-ahead for holding on Sep 18 the elections to the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) that manages the religious affairs and shrines of Sikhs.
The ministry has notified Sep 18 for the SGPC polls, chief commissioner of gurdwara elections H.S. Brar said in a notification issued here Thursday.
The SGPC is referred to as the mini-parliament of Sikh religious affairs. The organisation, founded in 1920, has a budget of over Rs.500 crore and manages Sikh shrines in Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Chandigarh, including the Amritsar-based holiest of Sikh shrines - Harmandar Sahib (popularly known as the Golden Temple).
The elections to the SGPC general house were last held in July 2004.
The SGPC general house is largely dominated by the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal in Punjab.
The Akali Dal had recently accused the Punjab Congress of putting pressure on the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) central government to defer the elections.
Akali Dal secretary Daljit Singh Cheema said the Congress was doing so as it feared its imminent defeat in the SGPC polls at the hands the Akali Dal.
The SGPC elections are scheduled a few months ahead of the February-March Punjab assembly polls next year.
The control of gurdwaras and the finances make the SGPC a powerful organisation, especially among Sikh masses - the dominant community in Punjab.
- Akalis claim clean sweep in SGPC polls - Sep 19, 2011
- Congress delaying SGPC polls: Akali Dal - Apr 22, 2011
- Keep away from Sikh religious matters, Badal tells Congress - Jun 24, 2010
- Akali Dal releases agenda for gurdwara panel poll - Aug 20, 2011
- Non-baptised Sikhs can vote in SGPC polls: Court (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Gurdwara polls: Government drops curbs on voters - Sep 02, 2011
- Sehajdhari Sikhs want cancellation of SGPC poll - Dec 21, 2011
- Non-baptised Sikhs can vote in SGPC polls: Court - Dec 20, 2011
- PM cancels Punjab trip, SGPC and Akalis upset - Nov 03, 2011
- Punjab: where politics and religion mix well (Punjab Newsletter) - Dec 31, 2011
- Court refuses to stay Sep 18 SGPC poll - Sep 06, 2011
- Makkar re-elected SGPC president - Nov 25, 2009
- Power politics behind controversy over gurdwara control (News Analysis) - Aug 16, 2009
- Security stepped up around Haryana gurdwaras - Sep 13, 2010
- Akali Dal, SGPC oppose Tytler in Olympics delegation - Jul 09, 2012
Tags: amritsar, assembly polls, brar, central government, cheema, chief commissioner, crore, daljit singh, golden temple, gurdwaras, haryana, parliament, progressive alliance, religious affairs, rs 500, sgpc, shiromani gurdwara, sikh shrines, sikhs, union home ministry