Gunmen on motorbike kill governor in AfghanistanDecember 1st, 2008 - 5:23 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, Dec 1 (DPA) Two Taliban fighters on motorbike shot dead a district governor in southern Afghanistan Monday morning, the latest in a series of assassinations of senior provincial officials.Abdul Rahim Desiwal, governor of Andar district in Ghazni province, was killed in front of his house in the provincial capital, also called Ghazni, as he was on his way to his office, his spokesman Ismail Jahangir said.
The spokesman said one of Desiwal’s bodyguards was seriously wounded in the attack and taken to hospital by police.
Provincial police chief Mohammad Zaman said he believed the attackers were still in the area, and police were trying to track them down.
Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid, speaking from an undisclosed location, said his organization’s fighters carried out the attack.
Andar is one of the troubled districts in Ghazni province, where the Taliban are the most active. Desiwal was targeted by militants several times in the past and was twice wounded.
Taliban fighters using motorbikes have killed several Afghan provincial officials in the southern and eastern provinces in recent months. The Taliban’s ultra-Islamic regime was ousted by a US-led military invasion in late 2001.
- Suicide attack kills eight Afghan civilians, two cops (Lead) - Dec 02, 2008
- Fearless Taliban says it can strike and gain control of Afghan areas at will - Nov 02, 2010
- Afghan district governor among 11 killed in Taliban attacks - May 06, 2009
- Karzai advisor, lawmaker shot dead in Kabul (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2011
- 11 policemen, district governor killed in Afghanistan (Lead) - Jul 11, 2010
- Woman killed in US operation in Afghanistan (Lead) - Nov 23, 2008
- Roadside bomb kills 14 civilians in Helmand - Dec 31, 2010
- NATO airstrike kills 25 Taliban in Afghanistan (Lead) - May 29, 2010
- Three NATO soldiers among 11 killed in Afghanistan - May 04, 2010
- Four militants die in blast - Sep 26, 2011
- 18 Taliban killed in combat with Afghanistan police - Sep 26, 2009
- 10 killed in Afghan clash - Jul 29, 2010
- 95 killed in Afghan poll violence (Lead) - Sep 18, 2010
- 45 Taliban, 2 soldiers, 5 guards killed in Afghanistan - May 15, 2010
- 4 killed as militants storm Afghan government buildings (Lead) - Aug 10, 2009