Gunfight as Garo rebels ambush police teamSeptember 27th, 2011 - 11:42 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, Sep 27 (IANS) A fierce gun-battle ensued in Meghalaya’s restive South Garo Hills district Tuesday after Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) rebels ambushed a police team. No casualty was reported, police said.
The gun-battle, which lasted for nearly an hour, began when armed GNLA rebels fired several shots at the police team travelling near Rajaronggat village.
“There was heavy firing from both sides after the GNLA rebels ambushed at our police team on returning from a village after making case inquiry. There is no casualty on our side,” Mukesh Kumar Singh, the district police chief, told IANS.
Police, however, recovered an unexploded improvised explosive device (IED) from near the site of the gun-battle.
Singh said the rebels fled from the scene after police returned the fire.
The GNLA, one of the five Garo rebel groups, is fighting for a sovereign Garoland. It is headed by police officer-turned-outlaw Champion R. Sangma.
- Garo rebels, security forces exchange fire in Meghalaya - Jul 30, 2012
- Fierce gunfight after rebels attack Meghalaya police officer - Feb 28, 2012
- Rebels kill policeman, injure three in Meghalaya - May 30, 2012
- GNLA rebels, forces exchange fire in Meghalaya - Mar 02, 2012
- Four GNLA rebels killed in Meghalaya - Aug 09, 2011
- Garo rebels target police party, no casualties - Apr 27, 2012
- Police commando killed, rebel camp busted in Meghalaya (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Fierce gunfight between Garo rebels and commandos - Jul 09, 2011
- Three cops killed in militant ambush in Meghalaya - Jun 04, 2011
- Hunt on for Meghalaya rebels behind police killing - Nov 01, 2011
- Garo rebel killed, camp busted - Feb 09, 2012
- GNLA commander killed, camp busted in Meghalaya - Sep 14, 2012
- Militants kill three cops in Meghalaya (Lead) - Jun 04, 2011
- Fierce gunfight between Garo rebels, commandos - Jan 28, 2012
- Surrendered Garo rebel's house torched, mother missing - Jan 29, 2012