Gunbattle in Uttar Pradesh court kills five (Lead)February 21st, 2009 - 6:18 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Feb 21 (IANS) Three unidentified assailants shot dead two men in an Uttar Pradesh court Saturday before they themselves were gunned down by police. The two undertrials were accused of rape and murder.
The duo, Satyaveer Singh and Kamlesh Singh, were shot dead in the district court in Hathras district - about 300 km from Lucknow - while they were being taken for a hearing in a case, police inspector Naresh Pal Singh told IANS on phone.
“Police gunned down the three assailants. While one of them died on the spot, the other two died while they were being taken to hospital,” Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Brij Lal told reporters here.
Four country made pistols were recovered from the assailants, added Lal.
Deputy Inspector General of police (DIG) Aligarh range Brij Bhushan Singh told reporters that the assailants were yet to be identified.
Following the incident, several lawyers in the court demanded that security in and around the court premises be strengthened. However, the DIG said the security on the court premises “is adequate”.
“Senior police officials are inquiring into the case,” district police chief J.P. Singh told IANS.
According to police, the two undertrials were kept in an Aligarh jail and had been brought to Hathras Saturday.
- Two undertrials gunned down in Uttar Pradesh court - Feb 21, 2009
- Gangster killed in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 10, 2010
- Irked at illicit relationship, sons shoot mother-paramour dead - Jun 15, 2012
- BJP leader shot dead in Kanpur - Jul 16, 2011
- Two get death penalty for killing four people - Mar 16, 2011
- Three shot dead on Uttar Pradesh highway - Jul 03, 2012
- Man kills woman, lynched by mob - Oct 27, 2011
- BJP leader, brother shot dead in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 03, 2011
- Mayawati's special envoy defuses Aligarh crisis - Aug 17, 2010
- Father hacks two kids to death in UP - May 18, 2012
- Two killed in police firing in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 15, 2010
- Doctor shot dead in Lucknow (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Government doctor killed in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 09, 2011
- Two patrolling policemen killed in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 28, 2011
- 33 IPS officers shifted in UP, power chief also booted out - Jul 31, 2012