Gulmarg shivers at minus two degrees CelsiusApril 14th, 2012 - 12:12 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, April 14 (IANS) With the minimum temperature falling six degrees below normal, north Kashmir’s ski resort town of Gulmarg Saturday shivered at minus 2.3 degrees Celsius. Incessant rains and thundershowers affected normal life across the Valley, an official here said.
“The minimum temperature in Gulmarg fell to minus 2.3 degrees Celsius Saturday which is six degrees below normal,” Sonam Lotus, director of the local weather office, told IANS.
“The minimum was 5.7 degrees in Srinagar, 3.4 degrees in Pahalgam, 2.4 degrees in Leh and 2.4 degrees in Kargil towns,” said Lotus.
“The weather is likely to improve today (Saturday) onwards and we are expecting sunny days ahead,” Lotus said.
Hundreds of tourists in the famed ski resort town were seen wrapping themselves with woollens.
“I have seen such a cold night for the first time in my life,” said Sunita Chopra, 18, a tourist.
During the last three days people here were seen wearing the traditional pherans, the traditional tweed cloak worn over garments.
“Not only the pheran, I have also been using the ‘kangri (earthen firepot woven in willow wicker baskets) for the last three days. It has been really cold,” said Nazir Ahmad, 42, a resident of north Kashmir Ganderbal district.
Water level in most local rivers rose because of heavy rainfall. Waterlogging in some low lying areas of Srinagar caused trouble for the residents.
“Waterlogging is a major problem in our area,” said Abdul Hamid, 46, a resident of Bemina residential area here.
- Snowfall in hills sends chilly winds into Valley - Oct 23, 2011
- Night temperatures likely to fall further in Kashmir - Nov 22, 2011
- Kashmir shivers in freezing temperatures - Nov 26, 2011
- Kashmir cold wave continues - Dec 03, 2011
- Srinagar shivers at minus 3.4, Leh freezes at minus 12.8 - Dec 06, 2010
- Night temperatures rise marginally in Kashmir, Ladakh - Jan 03, 2012
- Srinagar has coldest night in 16 years - Jan 14, 2012
- Kashmir Valley in cold grip, Leh minus 11.4 - Jan 22, 2011
- Freezing cold in Kashmir, still cool in Himachal - Nov 29, 2011
- Snow and rain to lash Kashmir Valley - Nov 10, 2011
- Kashmir freezing, Leh at minus 16 - Dec 28, 2011
- Rains, snow break long dry spell in Kashmir - Dec 07, 2011
- Mercury rises but Kashmir still freezing - Dec 29, 2011
- Cold spell continues in Kashmir (Lead) - Dec 24, 2011
- Taps freeze in Srinagar's coldest night, 13.6 at Leh - Dec 14, 2011
Tags: cold night, incessant rains, kangri, local weather, minimum temperature, nazir ahmad, north kashmir, residential area, shivers, six degrees, ski resort town, sonam, srinagar, sunita, sunny days, time in my life, water level, waterlogging, weather office, wicker baskets