Gulbarg massacre: Supreme Court asks for counsel’s assessmentMay 5th, 2011 - 5:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 5 (IANS) The Supreme Court Thursday asked senior counsel Raju Ramachandran to give his independent assessment of the Special Investigation Team’s (SIT) status report in the Gulbarg Soceity massacre case.
The apex court bench of Justice D.K. Jain, Justice P. Sadashivam and Justice Aftab Alam told Ramachandran, who is assisting the court as amicus curiae (friend of the court) in the case, that he was free to interact with the witnesses and police officers named in the status report.
The court asked former Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) director and SIT chairman R.K. Raghavan to make available a copy of the status report to Ramachandran.
The court-appointed SIT was directed to investigate the Gulbarg Society massacre in the wake of a petition by Zakia Jaffri, the widow of former Congress MP Ehsan Jaffri, who was among the 69 people killed in the massacre in the society in the aftermath of the Godhra communal riots of 2002.
- Gujarat riots: Apex court gives free hand to probe team - Mar 15, 2011
- Gujarat riots probe team gives report to apex court - Apr 26, 2011
- Gujarat riots: Probe Modi, says Supreme Court amicus curiae - May 07, 2012
- 'SIT report has dealt with Ramachandran's contention' - May 07, 2012
- Timeline of Zakia Jafri's case - Sep 12, 2011
- Trial judge to decide Zakia Jafri's plea: Apex court - Sep 12, 2011
- Apex court lifts stay on Gujarat riot cases, bar Gulberg society (Lead) - Oct 26, 2010
- Gujarat riots: Top cop questioned - Mar 22, 2011
- Gulberg Society case: Apex court verdict Monday - Sep 11, 2011
- Apex court SIT submits report on Gulbarg Society massacre - May 14, 2010
- Apex court pulls up Teesta Setalvad for letters to UN panel (Lead) - Jan 20, 2011
- Gujarat riots: SIT to probe officials' inaction - Aug 19, 2010
- Amicus curiae report on Gulberg points at Modi, Congress attacks BJP (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Modi showed a sense of responsibility, says BJP - Mar 28, 2010
- Gujarat gets notice on plea to change Gulberg Society case judge - Oct 26, 2010
Tags: aftab, aftermath, alam, apex, apex court, cbi, central bureau of investigation, communal riots, court bench, ehsan, friend of the court, independent assessment, investigation team, jain, New Delhi, petition, police officers, ramachandran, senior counsel, zakia