Gujjars hold protest in JammuMay 29th, 2008 - 4:00 pm ICT by admin
Jammu, May 29 (IANS) Scores of Gujjars marched in a procession in Jammu and attempted to block the railway tracks by squatting on them, to express their solidarity with community members in Rajasthan agitating for inclusion in the Scheduled Tribe list. The rallyists raised slogans in support of the demand of Rajasthan’s Gujjars as they marched to the railway track and staged a sit-in. However, they were persuaded to move off the railway tracks by the authorities who pleaded with them that it would cause great inconvenience to Vaishno Devi pilgrims.
“We have registered our protest. But this is not the end of it,” said Shah Mohammad, general secretary of the Gujjar United Front, which organised the protest.
He said the next step would be a relay hunger strike outside the governor’s residence here from Saturday. They also plan to go to Rajasthan to support the agitating Gujjars there.
“Gujjars in Jammu and Kashmir are Muslims, but they are indebted to the Hindu Gujjars who offered us their support when we were asking for Scheduled Tribe status.”
Jammu and Kashmir Gujjars were granted ST status in 1991.
- Jammu shuts down against fuel price hike - May 31, 2012
- Gujjar community continues protests over demand for jobs reservations - Dec 24, 2010
- Let's fight together: Kashmiri Gujjars to Jats - Sep 05, 2010
- Paharis moot meeting community in PoK for ST status drive - Sep 09, 2012
- Gujjars continue stir as talks fail - Dec 26, 2010
- Gujjars agree to talks but stir reaches Delhi (Second Lead) - Dec 29, 2010
- Gujjars agree to talks Thursday as stir reaches Delhi (Night Lead) - Dec 29, 2010
- Jat protesters to target Delhi this week - Mar 21, 2011
- Gujjars continue stir despite government's intervention - Dec 29, 2010
- Gehlot slams BJP for fuelling unrest over Gujjar reservation row - Dec 26, 2010
- Will probe BJP link to Gujjar agitation: Gehlot - Dec 28, 2010
- Court rejects 5 percent job quota for Gujjars in Rajasthan - Dec 22, 2010
- Gujjars ready for talks over reservation row in Rajasthan - Dec 26, 2010
- Ajmer shuts down over Gujjar protest - Dec 27, 2010
- Rajasthan urges Gujjars to hold talks - Jan 01, 2011