Gujjar youth held for threatening to kill RajeMay 28th, 2008 - 6:49 pm ICT by admin
Chennai, May 28 (IANS) A Gujjar man, 24-year-old Pyara Ram, was detained here Wednesday for issuing a threat to kill Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje, the police said. Ram is said to have decried Raje’s handling of the present agitation of the Gujjar community for a Scheduled Tribe status, and claimed that he was arranging to liquidate the Rajasthan chief minister, according to police sources.
The suspect was picked up from a jewellery shop in Tiruvallur, on the northern outskirts of the city. He was detained following a tip-off from Jaipur and will be handed over to the Rajasthan police.
The week-long agitation of Gujjars in several parts of northern India has left over 40 dead and disrupted road and rail traffic in several places. The Gujjars are pressing for a Scheduled Tribe status that will entitle the community to more government benefits in employment and education.
In Rajasthan, the Gujjars are classified as other backward classes (OBCs), but they want Scheduled Tribe status like the rival Meena community and a share of the quota pie. Ironically, the OBCs get 27 percent reservation and the STs 7.5 percent, but the perception is that the community will get a larger share of the quota pie with ST status.
The community held similar protests all over Rajasthan from May 29 to June 4 last year. Normal life was paralysed and at least 26 people were killed in the violence that seemed headed towards a caste war between Meenas and Gujjars last year.
- Gehlot slams BJP for fuelling unrest over Gujjar reservation row - Dec 26, 2010
- Let's fight together: Kashmiri Gujjars to Jats - Sep 05, 2010
- Gujjar community continues protests over demand for jobs reservations - Dec 24, 2010
- Jammu and Kashmir Gujjars plan to stop rail traffic - May 27, 2008
- Meenas distance themselves from Gujjar agitation, oppose reservation - Jun 01, 2008
- Gujjars ready for talks over reservation row in Rajasthan - Dec 26, 2010
- Jaipur sandstone industry suffers due to Gujjar agitation - Mar 24, 2011
- Gujjars take quota battle from Rajasthan to Delhi - and beyond(Roundup) - May 29, 2008
- Gujjars dismiss Raje letter to PM as gimmick, intensify stir (Lead) - May 27, 2008
- Vasundhra to disclose details of agreement with Gujjar leaders today - Jun 18, 2008
- Gujjar leader Bainsla to float own party - May 28, 2008
- Reservation row: Rajasthan CM Gehlot rules out Gujjars demands - Jan 01, 2011
- Gujjars march towards Jaipur, demanding quota - Apr 11, 2010
- Bodies await autopsy, Gujjar agitation spreads - May 28, 2008
- Rajasthan High Court rejects five percent quota plea for Gujjars - Dec 22, 2010