Gujarat shootout case: Supreme Court orders CBI probe (Lead)April 8th, 2011 - 12:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 8 (IANS) In a setback to the Gujarat government, the Supreme Court Friday ordered a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe in the 2006 killing of Tulsiram Prajapati, a witness in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh staged shootout case.
An apex court bench of Justice P. Sathasivam and Justice B.S. Chauhan said the CBI will complete investigations within six months.
The court has directed the Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh and Rajasthan governments to cooperate with the investigating agency. It said the investigation by the Gujarat Police was not acceptable as the case involved high-ranking police officials of the state.
Tulsiram Prajapati was killed Dec 28, 2006 in an alleged police shootout. He was allegedly gunned down as he was believed to be a key witness in the 2005 abduction and killing of Sheikh.
- SC rejects Gujarat's plea to review Prajapati shootout order - Jul 13, 2012
- Supreme Court orders CBI probe in Gujarat Prajapati encounter case - Apr 08, 2011
- CBI gets another month to probe Prajapati killing - Jun 07, 2012
- SC gives CBI two weeks' extension in Prajapati case (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Sohrabuddin aide's murder also part of conspiracy: CBI - Aug 25, 2010
- Prajapati killing, Amar Singh cases to figure in apex court - Feb 13, 2011
- Amit Shah headed extortion gang, CBI tells apex court - Mar 09, 2011
- SC gives CBI two weeks' extension in Prajapati case - Jul 20, 2012
- SC reserves verdict on Amit Shah's bail in Sohrabuddin case (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- Gujarat minister headed 'crime syndicate', apex court told - Sep 28, 2011
- CBI to file charge sheet in Prajapati killing in few days (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Shootout chain reconstructed in Gujarat court - Jul 09, 2011
- CBI to file charge sheet in Prajapati case few days - Aug 28, 2012
- No vendetta against Amit Shah, CBI tells apex court - Sep 28, 2011
- Gujarat, Rajasthan cops slapped with Prajapati murder case - Apr 29, 2011
Tags: abduction, apex, apex court, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, court bench, governments, gujarat government, gujarat police, investigating agency, investigations, key witness, New Delhi, police officials, police shootout, rajasthan, setback, six months, sohrabuddin sheikh, supreme court orders