Gujarat riots witnesses summoned to GandhinagarMay 3rd, 2008 - 12:46 am ICT by admin
Palanpur (Gujarat), May 2(IANS) Witnesses in the 2005 Gujarat communal riots were Friday summoned to appear before the Special Investigation Team (SIT), formed by the Supreme Court to inquire into the violence, at Gandhinagar May 9. Members of the SIT visited the Satnagar refugee camp, 110 km from here, and personally served the summons.
As many as 20 Muslim families are living in Satnagar camp, witnesses to communal riots in Sardarnagar village in Mehsana district.
Geeta Johri, one of the SIT members, reached Himatnagar in the afternoon and asked concerned agencies, including the police, to ensure that proper protection was provided to witnesses who have been rehabilitated at Satnagar refugee camp, official sources said.
The appointment of the SIT followed petitions in the apex court for reinvestigation of the cases of communal carnage that broke out following the burning of 59 Hindu activists in a coach of the Sabarmati Express at Godhra Feb 27, 2002. At least 1,000 people were killed in the violence that went on for weeks.
The five-member team led by former Central Bureau of Investigation director R.K. Raghavan also comprises three Gujarat IPS officers Geetha Johri, Shivanand Jha, and Ashish Bhatia and C.B. Satpathy, former director general of the Uttar Pradesh police.
- SIT files charge sheets against Kodnani, Patel (Lead) - May 01, 2009
- Special team visits Godhra, inspects burnt coach - Apr 25, 2008
- Supreme Court orders retrial of Gujarat riots by fast track courts - May 01, 2009
- Supreme Court orders SIT to probe role of Modi, 63 others in post-Godhra riot cases - Apr 27, 2009
- SC to decide on speedy trial of Gujarat riots cases - May 01, 2009
- Gujarat minister accused in 2002 riots seeks anticipatory bail - Feb 03, 2009
- IPS officer probing Sohrabuddin case offers to quit - Jan 21, 2010
- Zakia satisfied with key Gujarat cops' removal from SIT - Apr 06, 2010
- Maharashtra spares cop for Gujarat riots probe - Aug 31, 2010
- Supreme Court fast-tracks key Gujarat riot cases, victims hopeful (Roundup) - May 01, 2009
- SIT chief says Godhra report will be submitted within deadline - Jan 21, 2009
- Ahmedabad court to pronounce verdict in Godhra riots case tomorrow - Feb 21, 2011
- Gujarat riots: Prosecutor withdraws resignation - Jun 02, 2011
- SIT questions Togadia for role in 2002 Gujarat riots case - May 10, 2010
- Godhra cases report to be submitted by 15th Feb - Jan 21, 2009