Gujarat riots probe team gives report to apex courtApril 26th, 2011 - 12:20 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 25 (IANS) The Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) probing the 2002 Gujarat riot cases Monday submitted a status report before the court.
The report was filed giving details of investigation after amicus curiae Raju Ramachandran give his comments on its (SIT) earlier report.
The SIT report was submitted to the court in a sealed cover which would be opened when the matter comes up for hearing April 27.
The SIT was asked to investigate into the complaint by Zakia Jaffri, the widow of former Congress MP Ehsan Jaffri killed in the Gulberg society massacre in the wake of post-Godhra riots in Gujarat. In all 69 people were killed in the massacre.
A Gujarat cadre Indian Police Service officer Sanjiv Bhatt, in a recent affidavit before the apex court, alleged that instructions were issued by Chief Minister Narendra Modi that the Muslims needed to be taught “a lesson” for the February 2002 Godhra train burning that left 59 kar sevaks dead and that Hindus should “be allowed to vent their anger”.
He alleged the administration and police were told not to effectively intervene in controlling the rioters as Muslims needed to be taught a lesson.
In the course of the last hearing of the matter, Ramnachandran gave his comments on the earlier SIT report on its investigation into the complaint by Zakia Jaffari.
The court asked the SIT chairman R.K. Raghvan to look into the points raised by the amicus curiae and conduct further investigation on it.
- Apex court lifts stay on Gujarat riot cases, bar Gulberg society (Lead) - Oct 26, 2010
- Gujarat riots: Apex court gives free hand to probe team - Mar 15, 2011
- Gujarat gets notice on plea to change Gulberg Society case judge - Oct 26, 2010
- Gulberg Society case: Apex court verdict Monday - Sep 11, 2011
- Amicus curiae report on Gulberg points at Modi, Congress attacks BJP (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Gulbarg massacre: Supreme Court asks for counsel's assessment - May 05, 2011
- Top cop implicates Modi in Gujarat riots (Roundup) - Apr 22, 2011
- Timeline of Zakia Jafri's case - Sep 12, 2011
- Gujarat riots: Probe Modi, says Supreme Court amicus curiae - May 07, 2012
- Amicus curiae's report does not matter: BJP - May 08, 2012
- Gujarat riots: SIT to probe officials' inaction - Aug 19, 2010
- Top cop implicates Narendra Modi in Gujarat riots (Second Lead) - Apr 22, 2011
- Trial judge to decide Zakia Jafri's plea: Apex court - Sep 12, 2011
- Gujarat riots: Top cop questioned - Mar 22, 2011
- Apex court bars verdicts, refuses stay on Gujarat riots cases - May 06, 2010
Tags: affidavit, apex, apex court, chief minister, ehsan, godhra riots, hindus, indian police service, investigation team, kar sevaks, modi, muslims, New Delhi, probe team, riot, rioters, riots in gujarat, sanjiv, sit report, zakia