Gujarat police team in Madhya Pradesh for custody of SIMI activistsAugust 22nd, 2008 - 12:58 am ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Aug 21 (IANS) A Gujarat police team reached Dhar district of Madhya Pradesh late Thursday evening to seek the custody of arrested Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) leaders, including Safdar Nagori, the banned outfit’s state unit chief. The Gujarat team arrived with production warrants to show in a Dhar court Friday to seek the custody of the SIMI leaders for interrogation, police sources said.
The Gujarat police, during investigation of the serial bomb blasts in Ahmedabad, has found strong evidence against Nagori and others.
A suspected SIMI activist was detained in Indore on Monday following a tip off by Gujarat police in connection with the Jul 26 Ahmedabad serial bombings even as combing operations continued in Gujarat, Maharashtra and Rajasthan for other suspects.
Nine people were arrested on Aug 16 for their alleged involvement in the July 26 Ahmedabad blasts and they reportedly disclosed that the explosives used were sent from Madhya Pradesh. Police suspect them of stealing vehicles used in the operation.
According to Gujarat police, Safdar Nagori, who was arrested along with 12 others on March 27 from Indore, trained the activists. He is now lodged in a Rewa jail.
Gujarat police is likely to ask for the custody of hardcore SIMI activists including Nagori, Kamruddin, Amil Pervez, Hafiz Ahmad and Sivilee, said the source.
Meanwhile, Madhya Pradesh Director General of Police (DGP) S.K. Raut has confirmed the arrival of a team of Gujarat police with the production warrant.
- Gujarat police gets custody of Madhya Pradesh SIMI activists - Aug 22, 2008
- SIMI leader Safdar Nagori brought to Ahmedabad - Aug 25, 2008
- Mumbai cops in Ahmedabad to quiz IM operative - Jul 16, 2011
- Four SIMI activists taken to Ahmedabad court - Aug 23, 2008
- Nagori sent to to nine-day police remand - Aug 25, 2008
- Fresh hunt on for Mumbai-based SIMI activist - Aug 21, 2008
- Nagori's police custody in Ahmedabad bombings extended - Sep 03, 2008
- Bashir admits involvement in Ahmedabad blasts - Aug 19, 2008
- Probe widens in Mumbai blasts, detonators remain mystery - Jul 18, 2011
- SIMI's former president nabbed at Kochi airport - Jun 25, 2011
- Terrorist shot dead in Aurangabad - Mar 26, 2012
- SIMI activist nabbed in Gujarat - Jul 27, 2010
- SIMI activists produced in court over Ahmedabad blasts - Aug 23, 2008
- A year on, 37 accused in Ahmedabad blasts still absconding - Jul 26, 2009
- Many links between Ahmedabad, Pune blasts - Feb 17, 2010