Gujarat offers flood relief aid to BiharSeptember 10th, 2008 - 12:48 am ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, Sep 9 (IANS) Gujarat has offered Rs. 50 million to Bihar for flood relief efforts and was also providing boats and ambulances, Bihar Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Rameshwar Prashad Chaurasia said here Tuesday.Addressing mediapersons here, Chaurasia said that about three million people have been affected by the floods.
He added that the Rs.10 billion aid announced by the central government was “only a pittance” as “at least Rs.50,000 crore (Rs.500 billion)” were needed for reconstruction efforts.
Chaurasia, who is in Gujarat for past three days, thanked the Gujarat government for the aid.
BJP spokesperson and former Gujarat industry minister I.K. Jadeja said that two trains with relief material were leaving for Bihar.
Jadeja added that relief materials for flood victims were coming from all over Gujarat.
“For the last 50 years we are pleading to the Centre for a permanent solution to the flood problem,” Chaurasia said.
“It is not Kosi alone that is our cause of worry but other rivers too. During Vajpayee’s time linking of rivers was mooted. If such a project takes place Nepal, which has water problem, can get water for irrigation and we would be free from this sort of calamity,” he said.
- 'In Bihar, floods are a man-made menace' - Aug 25, 2011
- Rising Kosi floods dozens of Bihar villages - Jul 05, 2012
- Petition seeks action against Nitish on flood funds - Jun 21, 2010
- Fear of floods back in Bihar - Jul 01, 2011
- Flood waters enter over 1,000 Bihar villages - Aug 20, 2011
- Bihar flood situation grim as all rivers rise - Jul 07, 2011
- Tension between BJP, JD-U 'a drama': Lalu Prasad - Jun 20, 2010
- Thousands flee as Gandak breaches embankments (Lead) - Sep 16, 2010
- World Bank gives $220 mn aid to flood-hit Bihar (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Angry Nitish returns flood relief money to Gujarat - Jun 19, 2010
- More embankments to control floods in Bihar - Jul 05, 2011
- Bihar returns Gujarat's donation for Kosi flood relief - Jun 19, 2010
- Bihar floods worsen, over 100 villages inundated - Jul 04, 2011
- PM announces Rs.500 crore for flood-hit Assam (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Floods render thousands homeless in Bihar - Aug 21, 2011