Gujarat Marine Police to get first ‘Interceptor Security Vessel’May 8th, 2009 - 5:10 pm ICT by IANS
Bhuj (Gujarat), May 8 (IANS) The Gujarat Marine Police will be receiving its first Interceptor Security Vessel for patrolling the state’s 1,600 km coastline early next week, a senior marine police official said Friday.
The bullet-proof vessel, weighing 12 tonnes and costing Rs.2.5 crore (Rs.25 million) was initially brought from Greece to Goa. The vessel has now been loaded onto a truck trailer and is being brought to the state by road. It is expected to arrive in Mundhra for its formal launch in Gujarat’s coastal waters by Wednesday, the official said.
The state-of-art vessel, which has a maximum speed of 39 nautical miles per hour, incorporates jet propulsion technology powered by an underwater engine mounted below the boat, unlike normal vessels using outboard motors with a propeller to move the boat forward.
The vessel can carry a crew of 20 and has facilities for mounting light machine guns and other sophisticated weapons on board. A full tank of diesel can take the vessel up to 75 nautical miles non-stop, and it has a reserve fuel tank capacity of 25 litres for emergencies, the official added.
- New Coast Guard interceptor vessel commissioned - Oct 02, 2010
- 80 interceptor boats for Indian Navy - Jun 30, 2011
- Five speedboats to boost Maharashtra's coastal vigil (Lead) - Sep 19, 2010
- Court tells Italian ship owner to deposit Rs.2.5 million - Feb 22, 2012
- Judicial custody of Italian marines extended till May 11 - Apr 30, 2012
- Italian marines case: Kerala Police file chargesheet - May 18, 2012
- Foreign ships plying close to Indian coast warned - Mar 13, 2012
- Off Mumbai, coast not clear of maritime disasters - Aug 09, 2011
- Kerala fishermen's daily tryst with danger - Feb 20, 2012
- Kerala court denies bail to Italian marines (Lead) - May 19, 2012
- India signs Rs.300-cr deal for interceptor boats - Oct 17, 2011
- Five speedboats to boost Maharashtra's coastal security - Sep 19, 2010
- Surveillance on suspected pirate-manned dhows - Oct 01, 2011
- New interceptor boat for coast guard in Gujarat - Jun 17, 2011
- Antony inaugurates Maharashtra cluster of coast surveillance system - Aug 25, 2012