Gujarat lawyers want judges transferred over ‘misuse of position’June 14th, 2008 - 12:53 am ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, June 13 (IANS) The Gujarat High Court Advocates Bar Association Friday raised the issue of lawyers related to judges of the court misusing their position and called a meeting over the matter June 19. Yatin Oza, president of the bar association, said that it was necessary to request the chief justice of India and his companion judges in the collegium - Justice B.N. Agrawal, Justice Ashok Bhan, Justice S.H. Kapadia, Justice C.K. Thakker and Justice J.M. Panchal - to transfer all judges of Gujarat High Court whose children or parents were practicing in the same court.
“This step is necessary to bring purity in the administration of justice,” Oza told IANS.
He has written a letter to all bar council members, calling them for a meeting June 19 to discuss the issue of lawyers misusing their relatives’ position.
In his letter, Oza said: “Large number of advocates, more particularly junior advocates, have complained to me about the misuse and abuse of kith and kin (mainly children and parents) of honourable judges, misusing the position of their father/son. The coterie has become so strong that not whispers, but loud shouts, have been heard around, both within and outside the courts, about one honourable judge taking care of the kith and kin of another honourable judge and vice versa.”
Oza, however, admitted that it would be wrong to brand all the judges in negative light.
“There could be an exception and only a few could be involved. But it is virtually impossible to subjectively pinpoint someone in an atmosphere of suspicion.
“And therefore in larger interest of justice, it is necessary to transfer all the honourable judges who fall in the above category from our court,” he said.
- Gujarat High Court a corrupt judges' dump, allege advocates - Dec 04, 2010
- Stormy scenes at Gujarat lawyers' meet on Moily letter - Jul 10, 2010
- Lawyers abstain from work in Gujarat High Court - Dec 07, 2010
- Gujarat advocates to file writ on delay in judges' appointments - Sep 14, 2010
- Gujarat High Court lawyers strike work - Feb 01, 2011
- Gujarat High Court advocates to strike work from Jan 13 - Jan 11, 2011
- Hazare arrest: Gujarat lawyer's leader admonished - Aug 17, 2011
- 23 convicted, 23 acquitted for Gujarat riots massacre - Apr 09, 2012
- Court suggests CBI probe if needed against top Gujarat cop - Jun 27, 2011
- Refer allegations against Balakrishnan to apex court, president urged - Apr 05, 2011
- Allahabad High Court to file petition against apex court - Dec 03, 2010
- Gujarat top cops served notice in RDX landing case - Jun 11, 2011
- Old case haunts Ishrat Jahan probe team member - May 13, 2011
- Nariman applauds Iyer for seeking ex-CJI's probe - Jan 02, 2011
- Can't stigmatise judiciary, apex court warns CBI - Nov 29, 2011