Gujarat law graduates challenge bar council decisionJune 15th, 2010 - 9:37 pm ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, June 15 (IANS) Six law graduates Tuesday knocked the doors of the Gujarat High Court challenging the Bar Council of India’s (BCI) resolution that requires students like them to clear a test for getting a licence for legal practice.
The division bench of Chief Justice S.J. Mukhopadhaya and Justice Akil Kureshi has posted the matter for hearing Wednesday.
Petitioner Urshit Bhusan Oza and others filed an application in the high court challenging the provisions of rules 9, 10 and 11 of the Advocates Act, 1961.
The rules require that a person applying for licence to practice in courts must be a law graduate.
The BCI resolution states that law graduates must appear in an eligibility test to get the licence to practice law.
Advocate for petitioners, Amit Panchal, submitted before the court that they completed their graduation in law in 2008-09 and completed specialization in 2009-10.
They stated in the petition that the new resolution can only be applicable to them if the BCI does not consider their degree of 2008-09.
They further submitted that their specialization in law was completed in 2009-10 and if the BCI considers 2009-10 as a cut off year then they would be granted a licence to practice which would be subject to the result of the eligibility test.
Panchal said that the BCI would conduct the examination Dec 5 and this would lead to loss of six months to them due to implementation of the new rules.
He requested the court to direct the BCI to grant them the licence to practice, while the petitioners would appear in the exams later.
The continuation of the licence would be subject to the result of the test, Panchal said.
- Court queries Gujarat bar council on test for budding lawyers - Jun 17, 2010
- Bar Council to hold mandatory test for budding lawyers - Oct 15, 2010
- Bar council to upload budding lawyers' exam results - Mar 14, 2011
- Conditional practicing licence for Gujarat law graduates - Nov 29, 2010
- Budding lawyers need to pass test: BCI (Lead) - Jun 02, 2010
- All India Bar Examination mandatory for law graduates to practice in India - Oct 15, 2010
- High court issues notice to Bar Council of India - Apr 20, 2010
- Bill that will allow foreign law firms through back door (Comment) - Aug 18, 2011
- Now, pass test to practise in courts: BCI - Jun 02, 2010
- Gujarat advocates to file writ on delay in judges' appointments - Sep 14, 2010
- Apex court stays Madras High Court order on bar poll - May 24, 2010
- Give all benefits to ex-short service commission officers: Court - Sep 05, 2011
- Gujarat law exam hit by reservation row - May 09, 2012
- Can't condone lack of attendance in classes: High court - Apr 22, 2011
- Gujarat High Court advocates to strike work from Jan 13 - Jan 11, 2011
Tags: advocate, advocates, akil, amit, bar council of india, bci, chief justice, continuation, council decision, division bench, gujarat high court, kureshi, law graduate, new resolution, oza, petition, petitioner, resolution states, six months, specialization