Gujarat judge refuses to hear plea against ministerFebruary 19th, 2009 - 10:07 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, Feb 19 (IANS) A Gujarat High Court judge Thursday refused to hear a petition from a Supreme Court-appointed probe team which challenged the anticipatory bail to state Minister Maya Kodnani and former Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Jaydeep Patel in a case of communal violence.
“Not before me,” Justice Anant S. Dave said and added that another judge would hear the case and the date would be decided later. He did not elaborate on his remark.
City Sessions Judge A.K. Ashvani granted anticipatory bail to Minister of State for Higher Education Kodnani and Patel on Feb 5.
The Special Investigation Team (SIT) appointed by the apex court wanted to question the two in the case of the massacres at Naroda Patiya and Naroda village on the outskirts of the city on Feb 28, 2002. At least 99 people were killed in the rioting in the two adjoining places.
Ignoring the SIT summons last month, the two leaders secured anticipatory bails and became untraceable.
The SIT then got the state government’s permission and moved the high court Feb 17, seeking cancellation of anticipatory bail to Kodnani and Patel.
The SIT opposes the bail orders as the accused were involved in heinous offences, Gujarat police official and SIT member Ashish Bhatia has said.
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister among 32 convicted (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Gujarat HC judge declines to hear plea against bail for Godhra accused - Feb 19, 2009
- Gujarat minister accused in Naroda Gam riots gets bail (Lead) - Feb 05, 2009
- BJP legislator, 31 others get life terms for Naroda Patiya carnage (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Why shouldn't bail be cancelled, court asks Kodnani and Patel - Feb 24, 2009
- BJP lawmaker, 31 others get life terms for Naroda Patiya killings - Aug 31, 2012
- Supreme Court orders SIT to probe role of Modi, 63 others in post-Godhra riot cases - Apr 27, 2009
- Supreme Court orders retrial of Gujarat riots by fast track courts - May 01, 2009
- SC to decide on speedy trial of Gujarat riots cases - May 01, 2009
- Police removed names of leaders accused in Gujarat riots: Prosecutor - Mar 13, 2009
- Gujarat minister granted bail - Feb 05, 2009
- Godhra riots: Gujarat HC issues notice to Maya Kodnani - Feb 24, 2009
- BJP mum on Maya Kodnani's sentence - Aug 31, 2012
- Another Gujarat police officer faces action - Aug 11, 2011
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister Kodnani, 31 convicted (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2012