Gujarat invites Sri Lanka to develop coastal tourismJanuary 23rd, 2009 - 11:22 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, Jan 23 (IANS) Gujarat’s tourism department has sought Sri Lanka’s help in developing resorts along its coastline given the island nation’s vast experience in running several resorts and spas along its beaches, an official said Friday.A tourism department official here said the Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority has been invited to develop resorts comprising world class facilities along Gujarat’s 1,600-km coastline that is dotted with beaches, whose tourism potential remains untapped.
“The Gujarat government had already signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority to seek cooperation from its tourism industry leaders for developing resorts in Gujarat,” the official said.
A proposal has been mooted by Sri Lanka’s tourism industry leaders to tour Gujarat’s long coastline to study the feasibility of setting up resorts or even help Indian entrepreneurs set up hotels there, he added.
Apart from expressing keenness to help develop tourist hotspots in Gujarat, Sri Lanka’s tourism authority carried out an elaborate campaign to promote its leisure destinations during the Vibrant Gujarat Global Investors Summit that concluded earlier this month here.
Sri Lankan tourism officials are also keen on developing Buddhist sites across Gujarat, the official added.
- Gujarat to seek Sri Lanka's help in setting up resorts - May 24, 2009
- Goa government cozying up to 5-star hotel lobby: Shack operators - Sep 17, 2012
- Goa to ban smoking on its beaches next season - Jul 14, 2012
- Sri Lanka woos UAE for its tourism sector - Aug 18, 2011
- Goa tar balls created ripples in Moscow too - Sep 28, 2010
- Beach sirens could save lives, say marine scientists - Mar 02, 2011
- India beefs up coastal security with new system - Aug 03, 2012
- Kerala mulls tax concession on ayurveda medicines - Feb 13, 2012
- Change Goa law to promote wedding tourism - Aug 23, 2012
- Poll strictures could hurt Goa's tourism season - Jan 24, 2012
- China seeks closer ties with Sri Lanka - Sep 18, 2012
- Facelift of two popular Goa beaches to cost Rs.10 crore - Mar 22, 2012
- Goa to use PPP to develop four prime properties - Mar 16, 2011
- Goa tourism moves beyond beaches - Sep 16, 2011
- 28 countries, 400 buyers to participate in Goa travel mart - Oct 19, 2011