Gujarat cops hunt for 10 escaped under-trialsMarch 27th, 2008 - 7:39 pm ICT by admin
Vadodara (Gujarat), March 27 (IANS) The Gujarat police have sounded state-wide alert for the 10 under-trials who escaped after assaulting a police escort team Wednesday afternoon. The incident took place on the Vadodara-Ahmedabad Express Highway over the Mahisagar bridge, 30 km from here, when the ten were being escorted back to Sabarmati jail in Ahmedabad from a court hearing here, Vadodara Superintendent of Police Amit Vishwakarma told IANS Thursday.
According to the police, a group of eight policemen from Ahmedabad headquarters - one assistant sub-inspector, two head constables and five constables - and a home guard were escorting the 11 accused back to jail when four of them sought to relieve themselves.
Four policemen too got down from the van and escorted the four to the roadside. The under-trials inside the van pounced upon the four constables with their handcuffs.
Though the police opened fire at the escaping convicts, 10 of them managed to flee. One was hurt and arrested. Five policemen were also injured in the scuffle. They have been shifted to the SSG Hospital, Vishwakarma said.
A state-wide alert has been sounded and the hunt is on for the under-trials who are in early twenties, he added.
The five injured policemen are head constables Ramsinh Jawansinh, Ramesh Somabhai, Chimanbhai, Takhaji Baria and home guard Mahendrasinh Dashrath.
The gang, which was arrested by the Panchmahals police last year, is known to be involved in more than 10 cases of looting in the region, including a jewellery heist Nov 20, 2007.
- 13 prisoners escape from prison van in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 09, 2012
- Cops eat ice cream with accused, face action - Feb 23, 2011
- Best Bakery killings: Four get life term, five acquitted - Jul 09, 2012
- Four Gujarat cops held for negligence - Oct 09, 2011
- Rs.5 lakh solatium for Tamil Nadu women raped by cops - Nov 29, 2011
- Security high ahead of Godhra train carnage verdict - Feb 22, 2011
- Two policemen killed in accident - Jun 19, 2011
- BJP improves Gujarat tally, key Congress candidates lose (Third Lead) - May 16, 2009
- Gujarat readies for cyclone Phet, squalls hit coastal areas (Lead) - Jun 02, 2010
- Four dead in freak multi-vehicle accident (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- Seven injured in Kashmir grenade attack - Aug 08, 2012
- Accidentally fired bullet injures Delhi Police constable - Mar 18, 2012
- Two killed carrying policemen's salaries in Balochistan - Aug 16, 2012
- China makes police protect sheep from wolves - Jan 06, 2012
- Massive security presence at Messi match venue - Sep 02, 2011