Gujarat cop moves court against nine years old caseJune 23rd, 2011 - 7:54 pm ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, June 23 (IANS) Gujarat Police officer Kuldeep Sharma Thursday approached the Gujarat High Court with a plea to quash a nine years old case in which an Anand district court has ordered his prosecution. The government was trying to “settle scores” with him, he contended.
The Indian Police Service (IPS) officer has also challenged the the Anand district chief judicial magistrate’s order taking cognizance of the 2002 criminal complaint filed against him and the home department sanction to prosecute him.
Sharma alleged that the complaint was filed “to wreak vengeance and to settle personal scores” with him. He held Chief Minister Narendra Modi and his government of being prejudiced against him.
According to the case details, Sharma, when he was the Inspector General of Police in Ahmedabad in 2001, had ordered arrest of Deputy Superintendent of Police Kirit Bhrambhatt in an old case where the police had already filed a closure report.
In his complaint, Bhrambhatt said that following Sharma”s orders, a team of 20 armed policemen arrived at his residence on Oct 23, 2001, and illegally confined him there for over 24 hours. He was released only after orders came from the then state police chief.
Bhrambhatt moved court after the local police refused to register his FIR alleging wrongful confinement and threat by a police officer.
Sharma recently won a case in the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) against the state government over low-grading his Annual Confidential Report (ACR) contending that he was being targeted by the state government for his proactive approach in the 2005 alleged staged shooting of Sohrabuddin Sheikh.
He was in line to head the state police but was sidelined as manging director of the Gujarat State Sheep and Wool Development Corporation before he moved on deputation to the central government.
- Gujarat judge declines to hear cop's plea - Jul 04, 2011
- Gujarat officer facing land scam probe may get bail - Dec 08, 2011
- SC moved challenging quashing of FIR against Yeddyurappa - Mar 21, 2012
- Court offers relief to Gujarat police officer - Mar 22, 2011
- 'Was warned to withdraw complaint against Kejriwal' - Apr 11, 2012
- Supreme Court notice to Gujarat on Bhatt's plea - Nov 11, 2011
- Court puts curbs on Gujarat cop's arrest - Aug 16, 2010
- SC reserves verdict on Amit Shah's bail in Sohrabuddin case - Sep 06, 2012
- Police told to file report in Nirmal Baba case - Aug 10, 2012
- Graft charges framed against Virbhadra, wife (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Stay on senior Gujarat cop's arrest extended - Aug 20, 2010
- CBI bid to brand me as extortionist, Shah tells apex court - Jan 27, 2011
- Court seeks police report on action against Prashant Bhushan - Jun 08, 2012
- Gujarat told to provide security to Bhatt, family - Oct 04, 2011
- Apex court gives bail to suspended Gujarat bureaucrat - Dec 13, 2011
Tags: anand, case details, central administrative tribunal, chief minister, closure report, cognizance, confidential report, criminal complaint, deputation, deputy superintendent, gujarat high court, gujarat police, gujarat state, indian police service, judicial magistrate, old case, personal scores, proactive approach, state police, state sheep