Gujarat Congress begins poll preparation with focus on villagersAugust 27th, 2008 - 3:27 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, Aug 27(IANS) With elections to parliament round the corner, the Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee (GPCC) has drawn up plans to take the poll campaign to the grassroot level by reaching out to villagers across the state. GPCC members met here Tuesday night and decided to launch a Gujarat Navnirman Yatra from Sep 14 to Oct 9 in all the state assembly constituencies so as to highlight the problems faced by farmers as well as issues like deteriorating law and order situation, unemployment and inflation.
The meeting was attended by the opposition leader Shaktisinh Gohil, former deputy chief minister Narahari Amin and other Congress leaders.
“We will use the yatra to highlight the state government’s failure in various fields,” said GPCC president Siddharth Patel.
The campaign will cover 12 to 14 villages in each constituency, covering a total of 350 villages. There will be daily meetings with villagers during which their problems will be discussed.
Patel said the party will also hold Lok Durbars (public assemblies) in all 182 state assembly constituencies. In 90 constituencies it will be held on Sep 4 and the remaining will be on Sep 25.
Patel added that All India Congress Committee chairperson Sonia Gandhi has decided to appoint two coordinators in each constituency for facilitating the public meetings.
- Gujarat Congress begins grassroots programme - Sep 05, 2008
- Congress in Gujarat: Lost in the shadows (Gujarat Newsletter) - Mar 24, 2011
- Narendra Modi kickstarts poll campaign in Gujarat - Sep 11, 2012
- Vaghela ends fast, says Modi government betrayed trust - Sep 20, 2011
- Top Gujarat Congress leaders slam Modi, announce satyagraha - Sep 15, 2011
- 25 lakh bogus voters on Gujarat electoral rolls: Congress - Jun 30, 2010
- Congress leaders meet poll panel over Gujarat's 'bogus voters' - Jul 02, 2010
- Modi using literacy drive funds for own publicity: Congress - Jun 14, 2011
- Modi fasts again, Congress dismissive - Oct 16, 2011
- Congress launches its own Gujarat celebrations - Apr 19, 2010
- Congress attacks Modi government - Apr 27, 2010
- Congress accuses Modi of anti-Dalit agenda - Jun 08, 2010
- 'Rath yatra' to herald Gujarat golden jubilee - Feb 09, 2010
- Arjun Modhvadia named Gujarat Congress chief - Mar 03, 2011
- Modi stalling Lokayukta appointment, says Congress - Apr 18, 2011