Gujarat BJP legislator booked under Arms ActMarch 23rd, 2008 - 9:43 pm ICT by admin
Vadodara, March 23 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislator Madhubhai Shrivastava is in trouble again. The lawmaker from Vadodara in Gujarat, who was accused by Best Bakery case key witness Zahira Sheikh of intimidating her, has been booked under the Arms Act. City police inspector R.B. Lashkari registered the case late Saturday night against Shrivastava, who is also chairman of the Baroda Dairy.
The police have said that during the Holi celebration Saturday, Shrivastava, 55, and 20 others took out a rally within the dairy compound at 12.30 p.m., and Shrivastava fired four rounds from his revolver in the air causing breach of public peace. No arrests have been made so far.
Shrivastava, who represents Waghodia, was in the eye of a storm some years ago when Zahira Sheikh, a key witness in the Best Bakery case, accused him of intimidating her and thereby forcing her to become a hostile witness in the Baroda court. Zahira Sheikh’s u-turn in testimony led to the acquittal of 21 accused in June 2003.
Later, a sting operation by Tehelka claimed that Shrivastava paid Rs.1.8 million to Zahira, the bakery owner’s daughter, for her u-turn in testimony.
Best Bakery, a small outlet in the Hanuman Tekri area here, was attacked March 1, 2002 by a mob that burned down the bakery and 14 people inside it, including 12 Muslims.
The attack was part of the 2002 Gujarat violence following the Godhra train burning, in which the Muslim community was targeted that left more than 2,000 dead.
- Best Bakery killings: Four get life term, five acquitted - Jul 09, 2012
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister among 32 convicted (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister Kodnani, 31 convicted (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- When we stood with pickaxes in Vadodara (10 years of Gujarat riots) - Feb 26, 2012
- Bajrangi said he felt like Rana Pratap after Naroda killings - Aug 29, 2012
- Ajmer blast: Rajasthan cops arrest man in Gujarat - Nov 04, 2010
- Excerpts from Gujarat cop's affidavit implicating Narendra Modi - Apr 22, 2011
- One more held for Ajmer blast - Nov 03, 2010
- Gujarat BJP legislator's gun license cancelled - Jun 05, 2008
- 31 convicted in India Godhra train fire - Feb 23, 2011
- 'Teesta Setalvad not worried about court probe' - Nov 05, 2010
- Doctor's testimony challenged in Naroda-Patiya carnage case - Mar 31, 2010
- Naroda witnesses happy with court verdict (With Image) - Aug 29, 2012
- Minister's involvement only with Modi's consent: Congress on Naroda - Aug 29, 2012
- Modi's 'hang me' remark triggers Congress, BJP slug-fest (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012