Guerrilla killed, soldier wounded in Kashmir gunfight (Lead)June 30th, 2012 - 4:14 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, June 30 (IANS) One separatist guerrilla was killed and an army soldier wounded in a gunfight in north Kashmir’s Kupwara district Saturday, an official said.
A defence spokesman told IANS: “One terrorist has so far been killed in the north Kashmir Bawan forests of Zachaldara area in Kupwara district.”
“One of our soldier received a non-fatal injury during the gunfight. He has been evacuated for treatment,” the official said.
“Although firing in the area has stopped, searches are still going on. The identity of the slain terrorist is being ascertained.” added the official.
Following information about the presence of guerrillas, troops of 21 counter insurgency Rashtriya Rifles (RR) and state police had surrounded the Bawan forests in Zachaldara area of north Kashmir Kupwara district, about 105 km from here.
As the security forces tightened the cordon, they came under heavy automatic gunfire from the hiding guerrillas which triggered the gunfight.
- Gunfight in north Kashmir - Jun 30, 2012
- Guerrilla killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jul 06, 2012
- Five LeT guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfights - Mar 28, 2012
- Five guerrillas killed in Kashmir - Jul 07, 2012
- 10-hour Kashmir gunfight ends, five guerrillas killed (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
- Troops gun down guerrilla in Kashmir forest - Sep 02, 2011
- Infiltration bid foiled in Kashmir; soldier, guerrilla killed - Sep 05, 2012
- Woman dies in Kashmir crossfire - Aug 22, 2011
- Four guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight - Sep 16, 2010
- Three militants, one trooper killed in Kashmir gunfight (Lead) - May 11, 2010
- Three guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunbattle (Lead) - Oct 07, 2009
- Soldier killed in Kashmir gunfight - May 12, 2010
- Another gunfight breaks out in Kashmir - Apr 07, 2010
- Three guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight - Oct 07, 2009
- Two guerrillas killed in north Kashmir - May 08, 2010