Guatemalan sentenced to over 6,000 years in prisonMarch 14th, 2012 - 12:04 pm ICT by IANS
Guatemala City, March 14 (IANS/EFE) A veteran of an army unit was sentenced to 6,060 years in prison for his part in the 1982 massacre of 201 peasants in northern Guatemala.
The three-judge panel gave Pedro Pimentel 30 years for each of the victims, plus an additional 30 years for crimes against humanity, though Guatemalan law establishes a maximum prison term of 50 years.
The bloodbath took place Dec 7, 1982, in Dos Erres, a rural community in Peten province, during the rule of Gen. Efrain Rios Montt, who has been under house arrest since January pending possible trial for genocide.
Two admitted perpetrators of the massacre identified Pimentel as one of the killers, but the defendant insisted he was in Guatemala City on the day of the slaughter.
“I come to deny that I participated,” the 55-year-old told the court.
Pimentel, who was extradited from the US to stand trial for the Dos Erres massacre, belonged to Los Kaibiles, an elite counterinsurgency unit of the Guatemalan army. The court heard one expert witness, Peruvian retired Gen. Rodolfo Robles, describe members of that unit as “killing machines”.
Four other former Kaibiles were convicted and sentenced last August for Dos Erres, one of the 660 massacres documented by a truth commission that examined Guatemala’s 1960-1996 civil war.
Most of the conflict’s estimated 250,000 fatalities were indigenous peasants slain by the army and its paramilitary allies.
- Man sentenced to 6,060 years in prison - Mar 13, 2012
- Eight die in Guatemala helicopter crash - Feb 29, 2012
- Green Battalion to protect Guatemala's national park - Nov 07, 2010
- 14 dead in Guatemala accident - Jan 09, 2011
- 49 mutilated bodies found on Mexican highway (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Mexican gets 60 years for drug massacre - May 21, 2010
- Guatemalan cop accused of holding teen as sex slave - Aug 18, 2012
- Priest gunned down in Guatemala - Jan 28, 2012
- Prison warden slain in Guatemala - Jul 20, 2012
- Guatemalan judge escapes assassination attempt - Dec 31, 2011
- Suspect in slaying of Argentine singer nabbed - Mar 14, 2012
- Guatemalan sisters reunited after 30 years - Oct 09, 2010
- Six killed in Venezuelan plane crash - Feb 23, 2011
- Hotels get booked for end of Mayan era events - Aug 28, 2012
- Judge shot dead in Guatemala - Feb 16, 2011
Tags: army unit, bloodbath, crimes against humanity, efrain rios montt, erres, expert witness, guatemala city, guatemalan army, guatemalan law, house arrest, indigenous peasants, judge panel, killing machines, massacres, maximum prison, northern guatemala, paramilitary allies, prison term, rural community, truth commission