Guatemala volcano eruption forces mass evacuationSeptember 14th, 2012 - 6:22 am ICT by IANS
Mexico, Sep 14 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Tens of thousands of people have been evacuated in Guatemala after the Fuego volcano eruption, which the specialists estimate to be the most powerful since 1999 in this Central American country, media reports said.
The authorities of Guatemala announced the highest “red” level of alert Thursday as Fuego began spewing ash as high as 1,000 metres in the air and outpouring lava that covered an area of seven square kilometres on the southern slopes of the volcano.
According to various local media sources, between 10,000 and 33,000 people were evacuated from residential areas near the Fuego, located just 50 km from the Guatemala City.
The authorities recommended air traffic controllers to reroute or suspend flights in the vicinity of the Fuego in case the altitude of discharged ash reaches 1,500 metres.
- Russian volcano erupts - Jun 17, 2011
- Guatemala Volcano Kills TV Reporter, 600 People Relocated To Safe Place - May 30, 2010
- Thousands flee volcanic eruption in Indonesia - Aug 29, 2010
- Two fresh eruptions at Indonesia's Mount Lokon - Jul 19, 2011
- Russia's Karymsky volcano erupts - Dec 27, 2010
- Indonesian volcano erupts again - Sep 07, 2010
- Over 100 killed, 500 missing as Tsunami hits Indonesia after 7.2 magnitude earthquake - Oct 26, 2010
- Thousands of Indonesians flee erupting volcano: Mount Sinabung - Aug 30, 2010
- One dead, thousands flee as volcano erupts in Indonesia (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- Australian surfer dies of shark attack - Jul 14, 2012
- Thousands flee volcanic eruption in Indonesia (Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- 19 Killed in record downpour in Japan - Jul 13, 2012
- Two dead, thousands flee as volcano erupts in Indonesia (Third Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- Pilot dies in Czech plane crash - Jun 11, 2012
- Ammo train explodes, sets off Siberia wildfire - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: air traffic controllers, altitude, ash, authorities, flights, fuego volcano, guatemala city, guatemala volcano eruption, lava, local media, mass evacuation, media sources, mexico, outpouring, residential areas, ria novosti, southern slopes, square kilometres, tens of thousands, vicinity