Guardiola upbeat ahead of ‘El Clasico’December 7th, 2011 - 4:28 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Dec 7 (IANS) Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola was optimistic over his chances of taking the points in Saturday’s “El Clasico” against Real Madrid in the Santiago Bernabeu stadium.
Guardiola spoke in Diario AS the morning after a side made up of Barcelona B-team players had beaten BATE Borisov 4-0 in the Champions League, Xinhua reported.
“Real Madrid are always a strong side, they were when I used to play and they are now. Now we will start to prepare the game,” said Guardiola, whose side are three points behind Madrid in the table, having played an extra game.
“They have had a great season, and we will try and play as well as we can, so that our fans are proud of us. If we lose they will go nine points clear and it will be harder for us to win the league, but we are only thinking about playing well and creating chances,” he added.
Barcelona have not been at their best away from home this season, dropping nine points on their travels, with a defeat and three draws away from the Camp Nou, but Guardiola was positive ahead of the weekend.
“Things are looking good. Playing well and creating chances is the only way to compete with Real Madrid. We have some big days ahead of us and we have to concentrate and give a good impression,” he said.
Guardiola also discussed the win against BATE Borisov in which Pedro Rodriguez scored twice, as well as youngsters Martin Montoya and Sergi Roberto.
Barcelona had nothing to play for, but still dominated from start to finish in the comfortable 4-0 win.
“I don’t know how the future of the club will be, but we have made a big effort to renew a lot of these players. The club will depend on them in the future and they are a very valid generation of players. I want to thank all of my players for the serious way they have played. It all helps bring dignity to the club,” said the Barca coach.
- Barcelona squad at limit for Malaga trip - Jan 20, 2012
- Barca look to put pressure on Madrid - Mar 23, 2012
- Loss to Osasuna impacts Barcelona's title chances - Feb 12, 2012
- Guardiola congratulates Madrid for Camp Nou win - Apr 22, 2012
- Real Madrid a win away from Liga title - May 02, 2012
- Guardiola quits Barca, deputy Tito to take over (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Guardiola dedicates Getafe win to Eric Abidal - Apr 11, 2012
- Guardiola prepares for last league game as Barca coach - May 11, 2012
- Barcelona suffer Fontas injury blow - Jan 13, 2012
- League title all but lost: Barca coach Guardiola - Feb 12, 2012
- Barcelona plans to increase Camp Nou capacity by 10,000 - Sep 08, 2011
- Barca look to narrow Primera Liga gap with Real - Mar 30, 2012
- Advantage Barca ahead of Copa del Rey return leg - Jan 24, 2012
- FC Barcelona coach heaps praise on his players - Oct 22, 2011
- Mourinho evasive ahead of Barca tie - Jan 25, 2012
Tags: b team, barcelona, camp nou, champions league, coach, dignity, draws, game, montoya, pedro rodriguez, pep guardiola, real madrid, santiago bernabeu stadium, sergi, strong side, travels, xinhua, youngsters