Guard confesses to murdering Mumbai lawyerAugust 10th, 2012 - 2:13 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 9 (IANS) The watchman of an apartment block in central Mumbai has confessed to murdering 25-year-old lawyer Pallavi Purkayastha by slitting her throat because she had rebuked him, police sources said Friday, a day after the killing.
Sajjad Pathan, the guard, would be produced in court Friday, an officer said.
Puryakastha, the daughter of Delhi-based Indian Administrative Service (IAS) official Atanu Puryakastha, had had a tiff with Pathan over an issue in the society and rebuked him. In the early hours of Thursday, he slit her throat to seek revenge for his humiliation, police sources said.
According to police, the murder was committed around 1.30 a.m. after two electricians, who had come to restore power at Purkayastha’s apartment that had gone off at around 12.30 a.m., left the place.
Sources also say that Pathan had tampered with the power supply of her apartment so that he could take advantage of the dark to seek revenge.
Purkayastha, a legal advisor, was found murdered in a pool of blood by her boyfriend Avik Sengupta early Thursday. Sengupta is also a lawyer by profession and worked for another firm in Mumbai.
She was found with her throat slit and had multiple injuries on her face, hands and eyes, police said. A post-mortem of her body was carried out and her parents, who had come down from Delhi have been handed over her body, police said.
“The boyfriend is also being questioned,” an official said, adding that they needed to corroborate and authenticate the events of what had happened.
Police will make an official statement regarding the killer and the events that led to the murder.
Sources claimed that Pathan molested Purkayastha and attempted to rape her. However, police officers refused to confirm or deny this.
While reconstructing the crime, police also found that Purkayastha struggled against her murderer and tried to seek help of neighbours.
- Lawyer murder: Watchman sent to police custody - Aug 11, 2012
- Guard confesses to murdering Mumbai lawyer, act premediated: Police (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Stunned over Pallavi's death: Excel Entertainment officials - Aug 11, 2012
- Woman lawyer found murdered in Mumbai home - Aug 09, 2012
- Mumbai murder commited by unverified security guard? - Aug 11, 2012
- Three of family murdered - Dec 01, 2011
- Four murdered in Kolkata house - Sep 07, 2012
- Former boyfriend arrested for Delhi woman's murder - May 17, 2011
- Aarushi murder: Rajesh Talwar to remain on bail - Jan 09, 2012
- Reply to Aarushi's parents' plea, Supreme Court tells CBI (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Reply to Aarushi parents' plea, Supreme Court tells CBI - Feb 21, 2012
- Deranged Swedish man eats murdered girlfriend - Mar 10, 2011
- One held in Mumbai multiple murder case - Jun 23, 2011
- Four arrested for murders in Kolkata - Sep 09, 2012
- Refused money for liquor, man kills wife - Feb 17, 2011
Tags: apartment block, central mumbai, crime police, electricians, humiliation, indian administrative service, lawyer, murderer, neighbours, police officers, police sources, pool of blood, post mortem, power supply, profession, revenge, sajjad, throat slit, tiff, watchman