GSM operators agree to connect with RCom networkAugust 20th, 2008 - 10:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 20 (IANS) Reliance Communication (RCom) is set to launch its proposed GSM cellular network by the year-end, with five GSM operators agreeing to interconnect their networks with RCom’s, a top company official said here Wednesday.Bharti Airtel, Idea Cellular, Spice Communications, Tata and the state-owned Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL) will interconnect with RCom’s GSM network - much before the Aug 21 deadline set by India’s telecom watchdog - a top RCom official told IANS Wednesday on condition of anonymity.
In the past couple of weeks, these GSM players had refused to interconnect with RCom’s proposed GSM network.
This meant an RCom subscriber would not have been able to call a Bharti or an Idea subscriber.
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) last week ordered all GSM players to interconnect with RCom before Aug 21.
The Cellular Operators Authority of India (COAI), an association of GSM operators, met Tuesday and decided to file a petition in the Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal challenging the TRAI order.
COAI director general T.V. Ramachandran told IANS by phone Tuesday that his organisation was exploring legal option. “We will certainly take a call on this,” he said.
Ultimately, the COAI did not legally challenge the order.
- Airtel, Vodafone added 2.45 mn subscribers each in May - Jun 20, 2011
- India adds 6.87 mn GSM subscribers in March - Apr 20, 2012
- India adds 8.58 million GSM subscribers in June - Jul 18, 2011
- Uninor on top as India's GSM base grows 1.15 percent - Nov 21, 2011
- No decision on 2G pricing, EGoM favours refarming spectrum - Jun 05, 2012
- Tata Teleservices loses 4.4 mn subscribers in November - Jan 09, 2012
- India added 11.11 mn GSM subscribers in April - May 20, 2011
- Bharti adds 2 mn subscribers in May, India total now 929 mn - Jul 05, 2012
- GSM operators add 11.18 million users in April: COAI - May 21, 2010
- Telecom shares plunge on 2G spectrum price hike move - Apr 24, 2012
- India's mobile subscriber base reaches 919.17 million in March - May 03, 2012
- No outstanding dues to BSNL: Telcos - Sep 10, 2011
- '3G auction completion takes India a step forward' - May 19, 2010
- Declining mobile subscriptions show uncertainty in telecom industry: COAI - Sep 09, 2012
- Networks hope to acquire more users, spectrum - Feb 03, 2012