Groom stranded as bride flees with moneySeptember 3rd, 2012 - 8:00 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, Sep 3 (IANS) A bridegroom and about 50 of his marriage party were stranded in Rajasthan’s Barmer town for a week as the would-be bride disappeared right before the ceremony, after duping him of Rs.3.75 lakh, police said Monday.
A first information report (FIR) was registered against the bride and two men who had fixed the wedding after taking the money, they added. One of the men was arrested Monday.
The incident took place in Sadar area of Barmer, some 550 km from Jaipur.
“Arjunram, a resident of Hiradesar village in Jodhpur, had come to Barmer Aug 28 to tie the knot with a girl whose identity is not being disclosed. He was accompanied by a marriage procession consisting of at least 50 people, including his parents and family members,” a police officer said.
However, when they reached the wedding venue, they found that the bride and her family members were missing and her house was locked, the officer said.
He added that Arjunram and others kept waiting for the girl and her family members throughout the night, but then realised that they had been cheated by a professional gang of fraudsters.
“For fixing the marriage, two men, Veer Singh and Jetha Ram, had taken Rs.3.75 lakh from Arjunram’s family members. An engagement ceremony had taken place Aug 25,” said the officer.
Arjunram and several other villagers are still in Barmer.
“During preliminary investigation, it has come up that the girl, Veer Singh and Jetha Ram were members of a gang involved in duping unemployed youths on pretext of marriage. We arrested Jetharam today (Monday) and are searching for others,” the officer said.
- Rajasthan woman seeks annulment of her child marriage - Aug 04, 2012
- Bridegroom arrested after father demands dowry - May 13, 2011
- Rajasthan cracks down on child marriages - Mar 31, 2012
- Tainted Pak cricketer Asif 'fixes' his wedding celebrations on Sep 30 - Sep 28, 2010
- Women arrested for cheating 'husbands' - May 29, 2012
- Aamir Khan to keep date with Varanasi auto-driver - Apr 25, 2012
- 38 couples tie the knot at inter-caste mass wedding in Agra - Jun 10, 2012
- Groom marries bride who got raped - Feb 24, 2012
- 13-year-old Delhi girl rescued from human traffickers - Sep 05, 2012
- Man arrested in Rajasthan for selling off wife - Aug 04, 2012
- Soldier, another arrested for 'magic mirror' fraud - Apr 24, 2012
- Real-life bogus brides inspire Imagine's new show - Mar 17, 2011
- Ceremonies begin at Sania Mirza's house - Apr 13, 2010
- Sania, Shoaib are now husband and wife (Third Lead) - Apr 12, 2010
- Three poachers arrested with chinkara parts - Jan 28, 2012
Tags: barmer, bridegroom, engagement ceremony, family members, fir, fraudsters, information report, knot, marriage, marriage party, marriage procession, money, parents, police officer, preliminary investigation, pretext, two men, unemployed youths, wedding venue