Grenades found in Ajmer sewer lineJuly 2nd, 2012 - 10:30 pm ICT by IANS
Ajmer, July 2 (IANS) Panic gripped Rajasthan’s Ajmer town after 14 live grenades were recovered from a sewerage line during cleaning work by local municipality’s sanitation staff Monday, police said.
“Keeping in view the upcoming monsoon, the local municipal office is undertaking work of cleaning sewerage lines across the town on a large scale. A team of sanitation workers were cleaning the sewerage line near Anasagar Lake when they come across a heavy polythene bag,” a police officer said.
He added that they opened the bag to find 14 live grenades and immediately informed the police. Senior police and district administration officers rushed to the spot.
“We called experts from the army’s Ajmer Cantonment after cordoning off the area. The army experts took the grenades to an isolated place where they defused them,” said the officer.
He added that an investigation has been launched to ascertain how these grenades, generally used by army landed up in the sewerage line in this heavily populated area.
Each grenade was marked KS-85.
- Girl child found abandoned in Rajasthan - Jun 05, 2012
- Agra's anti-polythene drive faces trouble - Jan 07, 2011
- Agra goes all out against polythene bags - Dec 15, 2010
- Whistleblowers with a difference - on 'clean Shimla' mission (Letter from Shimla) - Aug 14, 2012
- Agra residents form human chain against polythene bags - Dec 19, 2010
- Agra's war on plastic: Nothing succeeds like success - Jan 26, 2011
- Urban sanitation hopelessly inadequate: Parliament panel - Apr 30, 2012
- Taj city eco-activists march against polythene - Nov 20, 2011
- Four injured in Kashmir attack (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Anti-polythene drive in Srinagar - Apr 20, 2009
- Army chief reviews Jammu security - Mar 16, 2012
- Three die in grenade blast in Colombia - Feb 27, 2012
- Suicide bomber held in Nigeria - May 21, 2012
- Agra's war on plastic: One step forward, two steps back? - Jun 08, 2011
- Agra's sweet makers made to pay sanitation fee - Dec 01, 2010
Tags: administration officers, army, cantonment, district administration, grenade, grenades, large scale, monsoon, municipality, police officer, rajasthan, sanitation staff, sanitation workers, sewer line, undertaking work