Grenade hurled at Congress MP’s house in Manipur, fails to explodeSeptember 21st, 2012 - 8:17 pm ICT by IANS
Imphal, Sep 21 (IANS) A powerful grenade was hurled at the house of Congress MP Thokchom Meinya here Friday but failed to explode, police said. It was later defused.
Suspected rebels of an unidentified outfit hurled the bomb at the house of Meinya, MP from Inner Manipur, in Khumbong area Friday morning, police said.
“We have recovered an explosive from the residence of the Congress MP and the bomb has been defused,” Imphal district police chief Konsam Jayanta Singh told IANS.
Senior police and district administration officers rushed to the spot.
Though no group has claimed responsibility, but police believe that it is the handiwork of certain rebel outfits.
No arrests had been made so far, but a manhunt is on, the police official said.
The outlawed Revolutionary People’s Front (RPF) had recently said that its armed wing - the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) has planted bombs in strategic places to attack security forces in Manipur.
PLA, the military wing of the RPF is fighting for the last three decades for an independent homeland for the majority Metei community in Manipur.
There are more than 20 rebel outfits in Manipur with demands ranging from secession to greater autonomy.
- Powerful grenade found in Manipur secretariat - Sep 12, 2012
- Blast near government office in Imphal - Sep 14, 2012
- Trooper killed, 10 injured in Manipur blast - Sep 09, 2012
- Blast in Imphal, two injured - Sep 09, 2012
- Blast in Imphal, two troopers injured (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Top PLA rebel arrested in Meghalaya - Sep 05, 2012
- Four serial blasts in Manipur, two injured (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Manipur insurgents held near India-Bangladesh border - May 05, 2010
- Grenade blast hits Congress office in poll-bound Manipur - Jan 05, 2012
- Blast on poll-eve creates panic in Manipur - Jan 27, 2012