Grenade blast hits Congress office in poll-bound ManipurJanuary 5th, 2012 - 1:11 am ICT by IANS
Imphal, Jan 4 (IANS) A ruling Congress party office came under a powerful grenade attack late Wednesday in election-bound Manipur, even as seven influential separatist groups called for a ban on all poll meetings and campaigning by the ruling party.
A police spokesperson said unidentified militants lobbed a grenade at a Congress party election office at Singjamei on the outskirts of capital Imphal around 8.45 p.m.
“Nobody was injured in the attack as the office was closed by then. A parked car was damaged in the impact of the blast,” the official said.
Elections to the 60-member house takes place Jan 28.
Meanwhile, seven militant groups, including the outlawed United National Liberation Front (UNLF), the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) and the People’s Republic of Kangleipak (PREPAK), have called for a ban on all election meetings and campaigning by the Congress candidates in the state.
An emailed statement signed by seven militant groups warned of dire consequences if their diktat was violated.
Militant groups in past elections as well targeted the Congress candidates and issued similar warnings.
There are more than 20 rebel armies active in Manipur, a state bordering Myanmar, with demands ranging from secession to greater autonomy.
- Blast outside Manipur speaker's house, one killed (Second Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- One killed in Manipur blast (Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Manipur voters fearful after series of blasts - Jan 23, 2012
- Blast on poll-eve creates panic in Manipur - Jan 27, 2012
- Grenade attack injures three in Manipur - Jan 10, 2012
- Four nabbed for possessing arms cache in Manipur - May 02, 2010
- PLA militant arrested in Imphal - Dec 29, 2010
- 57 militants surrender in Manipur - Dec 16, 2011
- Shutdown-plagued Manipur votes Saturday - Jan 27, 2012
- Grenade hurled at Congress MP's house in Manipur, fails to explode - Sep 21, 2012
- Four serial blasts in Manipur, two injured (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Powerful grenade found in Manipur secretariat - Sep 12, 2012
- Arms seized in Manipur District - Feb 01, 2011
- Eight rebels surrender in Manipur - Apr 03, 2011
- Manipuri militant nabbed - Feb 16, 2012