Greenpeace to observe a month of Japanese tsunamiApril 11th, 2011 - 6:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 11 (IANS) A candlelight vigil will be held Monday at India Gate in the city to mark one month of the earthquake-tsunami catastrophe that hit Japan.
Greenpeace, the global environmental organisation, said it will observe April 11 as a National Day of Action Against Nukes in solidarity with the Japanese people.
The group has asked people to assemble at India Gate lawns around 6 p.m. and protest nuclearisation of India.
“India has ambitious plans to import 21 foreign reactors. Some of these are untested technology and some of them will be built on a site which is prone to earthquakes. The authority is hell bent on not learning from the recent events,” said a Greenpeace official.
Japan was devastated by a magnitude-9 quake March 11 followed by a tsunami that left thousands of people dead and crippled the Fukushima nuclear plant, causing radiation from its reactors.
Ironically, on the day Japan marked one month after the catastrophe, the country was again hit by another quake of 7.1 magnitude Monday following which a tsunami alert was issued. Japanese authorities later withdrew the tsunami warning.
- Greenpeace to observe one month of Japanese tsunami - Apr 08, 2011
- Greenpeace observes a month of Japanese quake, tsunami (Second Lead) - Apr 11, 2011
- Candlelight vigils mark one month of Japan quake (Lead) - Apr 11, 2011
- Tokyo operator to be banned from Fukushima n-plant - Apr 24, 2011
- TEPCO to cleanup radioactive debris from n-plant by July - Apr 25, 2011
- Radioactive levels at Fukushima lower than earlier reported:Kyodo - Mar 28, 2011
- Japan quake toll rises to over 8,900 - Mar 22, 2011
- Japan mourns on quake anniversary (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2012
- Japan shuts down Hamaoka n-plant over quake forecast - May 14, 2011
- Japan faces fears of n-radiation, more quakes (Lead) - Mar 16, 2011
- Japan urges end of nuclear industry - Aug 01, 2011
- The day that shook Japan - Mar 11, 2012
- Japan lifts milk restrictions from areas near n-plant - May 01, 2011
- Magnitude 6.5 quake hits off coast of Japan, tsunami warning issued (Lead) - Mar 28, 2011
- Fukushima nuke plant compromised safety over cost-cutting drive during construction - Mar 22, 2011
Tags: ambitious plans, candlelight vigil, earthquakes, environmental organisation, global environmental, greenpeace, india gate, india india, japanese authorities, lawns, magnitude 9, march 11, nuclear plant, nuclearisation, nukes, reactors, tsunami alert, tsunami catastrophe, tsunami warning, untested technology