Greenpeace complains to SEBI against GVK GroupJune 12th, 2012 - 5:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 12 (IANS) Global environment watchdog Greenpeace has lodged a complaint against the GVK Group with the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI), saying the Indian infrastructure major had filed incomplete information about its $6.4 billion Alpha coal project in Australia.
The Alpha coal project was suspended by the Australian government June 5, a week after it was approved, saying the approval process was a “shambolic joke”.
“Federal Environment Minister Tony Burke revealed that GVK had written to him acknowledging that additional work was required to satisfy the environmental approval process. This information was not included at the time when GVK made its statement to the India exchanges,” Greenpeace said in a statement Tuesday.
The main concern for the department and environmentalists is the fact that export shipments from GVK’s Alpha mine in the remote Galilee Basin would traverse the famous Great Barrier Reef.
According to Greenpeace, GVK has still not alerted the Indian exchanges on which it is listed to important developments that have emerged since the suspension of project.
“GVK enjoyed a five percent increase in their share valuation after the project was cleared last month. But there have since been several significant and serious developments that are likely to adversely impact the project. We are calling on GVK to inform the exchange about these developments because they carry material concern to investors,” said Arundhati Muthu, a Greenpeace campaigner.
“No market can function without ongoing disclosure. These investments are problematic on so many levels. Investors need up to date information in order to judge the risk they are being asked to invest in,” she said.
- Greenpeace charges are incorrect: GVK Group - Jun 13, 2012
- Australia throws spanner in GVK's $6.4-bn coal mine project - Jun 05, 2012
- GVK bags Asia Deal of the Year award - Mar 29, 2012
- India's second school of mines to come up in northeast - Sep 09, 2012
- GVK acquires coal, infrastructure projects in Australia - Sep 17, 2011
- Indian billionaires jostle for coal in Australia - Mar 04, 2012
- Greenpeace launches campaign against Mexican resort project - Mar 15, 2012
- India's GVK joins raging Australian debate on foreign workers - May 29, 2012
- Australian immigration minister under attack for foreign workers' deal - May 26, 2012
- Coal Minister invites foreign investment - Aug 03, 2012
- Adani's plan $10-bn coalmine, railroad project in Australia - Feb 14, 2012
- Andhra inks MoUs for Rs.6.5 lakh crore investment (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Kerala looking for private investment in mega projects - Aug 13, 2012
- GVK Energy to set up two thermal power plants in Andhra - Jan 13, 2012
- Green lobby opposes opening up forests for mining - Mar 16, 2011
Tags: australian government, campaigner, coal, environmental approval, environmentalists, exchange board, export shipments, federal environment minister, galilee, global environment, great barrier reef, greenpeace, gvk group, indian infrastructure, New Delhi, sebi, securities and exchange, securities and exchange board of india, share valuation, watchdog