Greeks vote in crucial parliamentary electionMay 6th, 2012 - 4:02 pm ICT by IANS
Athens, May 6 (IANS) Greeks are participating in crucial parliamentary elections Sunday that is expected to decide the country’s future in the euro zone, RIA Novosti reported.
A total of 9.9 million Greeks voters will cast their vote to choose among 32 political parties. Polling stations opened at 7 a.m. and will close at 7 p.m.
Greece is holding the first general election since the debt crisis hit the country in late 2009.
The crisis had prompted the Greek authorities to implement deeply unpopular austerity measures in exchange for bailout funds from the European Union (EU) and the International Monetary Funds (IMF) to stave off a sovereign default.
Opinion polls suggest that there are no clear winners in the parliamentary election as voters, hit by record unemployment levels and drastic wage cuts, may elect an unprecedented number of small parties to the Greek parliament.
These parties are opposed to the harsh austerity measures that the country’s two leading parties, New Democracy and the Socialist PASOK, have undertaken to pursue in exchange for the EU/IMF bailouts.
- Greece votes in parliamentary elections (Lead) - May 06, 2012
- Merkel advises Greek referendum on euro membership - May 19, 2012
- Antonis Samaras sworn in as Greece prime minister - Jun 20, 2012
- New Democracy party asked to form Greek government (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Samaras begins coalition talks for a Greece government (Second Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Unemployment rate hit record high in Greece - Jun 08, 2012
- Greek PM insists on referendum on EU aid deal - Nov 02, 2011
- New Democracy party asked to form Greek government - Jun 18, 2012
- Europe should help Greece to avoid crisis: Greek PM - Oct 16, 2011
- Greece to vote in new polls June 17 - May 17, 2012
- Greek pensioner's suicide sparks protests - Apr 06, 2012
- Greece to vote on austerity package after deadly riots - May 06, 2010
- Greek government survives trust vote - Jun 22, 2011
- Mass strikes hit Greece as bailout talks reach climax - May 01, 2010
- Greece passes austerity measures in parliament (Lead) - May 07, 2010
Tags: austerity measures, bailout, debt crisis, euro zone, greek authorities, greek parliament, greeks, imf bailouts, international monetary funds, new democracy, opinion polls, parliamentary election, parliamentary elections, pasok, political parties, polling stations, ria novosti, socialist, unemployment levels, unprecedented number