Greek rioting abates after three days, unrest continuesDecember 9th, 2008 - 12:25 pm ICT by IANS
Athens, Dec 9 (DPA) The situation in the Greek capital Athens calmed down early Tuesday after three days of heavy rioting, triggered by the fatal police shooting of a teenager, media reports said, but the unrest was likely to continue.Violence was concentrated in the area around the Polytechnic University, where several dozen hooded youths were still holding out, but police remained on high alert.
A government spokesperson denied reports that a country-wide state of emergency was to be declared.
Late Monday, Athens was ablaze and gripped by chaos while dozens of other cities were crippled for a third straight day by arson and looting in the worst riots in decades.
Thick black smoke, flames and teargas had engulfed central Athens as students set fire to several buildings including the offices of state airline Olympic Airways, the foreign ministry across from Parliament, a luxury department store, Greece’s main law school and two bank headquarters.
Hooded protestors, mostly in their teens, clearly had control of the city by late Monday and were looting stores and taking anything that could be used as a weapon.
Police have arrested more than 50 rioters, while over 100 people were injured in the violence, media reports said.
Prime Minister Costas Karamanlis planned to hold an emergency meeting with President Karolos Papoulias and the leaders of Greece’s political parties later Tuesday.
- Greek capital left crippled after clashes (Lead) - Dec 09, 2008
- 450 held as riots singe Britain (Third Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Police got tactics wrong, says Cameron as 1,300 held for riots (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- 450 held as riots spread across Britain (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Merkel advises Greek referendum on euro membership - May 19, 2012
- Greek leaders fail to agree on new PM - Nov 10, 2011
- Greece to vote in new polls June 17 - May 17, 2012
- London riots: Over 100 policemen, five service dogs injured - Aug 10, 2011
- London calm, violence grips other British cities (Second Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- London violence spirals, over 560 held (Fourth Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- Youths wreck banks, businesses in Athens - Dec 15, 2008
- Vigilantes clash with police in London - Aug 11, 2011
- London riots escalate to other cities in Britain (Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- New Democracy party asked to form Greek government - Jun 18, 2012
- Olympic Flame reaches Acropolis for handover ceremony - May 17, 2012