Greatest match of my life: DjokovicJanuary 30th, 2012 - 7:49 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Jan 30 (IANS) World No.1 Novak Djokovic believes the Australian Open final victory over Spaniard Rafael Nadal was the greatest of his life and the match would be etched in his memory forever.
“I think under the circumstances definitely, this was the greatest match I ever played,” Djokovic said.
“The match that could have gone either way; the match that almost went six hours and adding to all that is a grand slam final and winning against the biggest rival. It was worth it. All this effort that we both put in last night on the tennis court. Something we will both remember forever.”
The Serb beat the World No.2 in a marathon final that lasted close to six hours. Djokovic won 5-7, 6-4, 6-2, 6-7, 7-5 for his third title here and second successive.
Djokovic said the Melbourne triumph had still not sunk in and he felt proud of what he had achieved in the epic five-setter.
“I think it is still too early but I guess now I will have the time to enjoy the success because it’s not just winning a Grand Slam, it’s really more than that and in the way we played yesterday, it makes me feel very proud of what I have achieved.”
The five-time Grand Slam champion also thanked his girlfriend Jelena Ristic for her support. Jelena was seen cheering every point Djokovic won and stood up and lent her voice every time the Serb was down.
“We have been together for six or seven years and we have lots of support and understanding for each other. It was great to have her around,” he said.
- Djokovic pips Nadal to win longest Grand Slam final - Jan 29, 2012
- Nadal calls the Australian Open final as his toughest match - Jan 30, 2012
- Djokovic, new king of tennis in 2011 - Dec 21, 2011
- Djokovic stuns defending champion Federer to enter Oz Open final - Jan 27, 2011
- Australian Open: Djokovic edges out Murray, meets Nadal in final - Jan 28, 2012
- US Open: Djokovic to face Ferrer in semis - Sep 07, 2012
- Djokovic overcomes Nadal to win US Open - Sep 13, 2011
- US Open: Top four men cruise into semis - Sep 10, 2011
- Djokovic struggles to beat Berdych, Murray loses to Ferrer - Nov 22, 2011
- Djokovic deserved to win Australian Open men's singles title: Murray - Jan 30, 2011
- Djokovic predicts Nadal to be world's best ever tennis star - Sep 15, 2010
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Djokovic: Taking on Nadal in French Open final is ultimate challenge - Jun 09, 2012
- Ferrer thrashes Djokovic to reach semis at ATP final - Nov 24, 2011
- US Open: Murray wins Grand Slam title at last (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
Tags: australian open, circumstances, final victory, girlfriend, grand slam champion, lent, marathon, match, melbourne, memory, novak djokovic, rafael nadal, ristic, serb, seven years, six hours, spaniard, tennis court, triumph