Granted bail, Anca will still stay in jailAugust 29th, 2012 - 8:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 29 (IANS) A special court Wednesday granted bail to businessman Abhishek Verma’s Romanian wife Anca Neacsu in a forgery case on condition that she not leave the country without permission.
Despite being granted bail in this case, however, Anca will remain in jail since she is also accused in a money laundering case for which she has been remanded in judicial custody until Sep 10.
Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) special judge Sanjeev Jain granted bail to Anca on a personal bond of Rs.5 lakh and two sureties of like amount.
“The bail application of the accused is allowed,” judge Jain said.
Besides not leaving the country without permission, the court also asked the accused not to tamper with evidence or influence witnesses in the case.
Anca and Verma were arrested Aug 8 by the CBI over a forgery complaint filed by Minister of State for Youth Affairs and Sports Ajay Maken.
The arrest happened soon after the couple got bail in a separate graft case.
The CBI has alleged that Verma had written a letter in 2009 to the prime minister on a forged letterhead of then Minister of State for Home Ajay Maken, seeking easing of business visa norms.
The court observed that the evidence on record does not show that Anca was involved in forgery. The court also showed leniency in granting bail to Anca as she is a woman.
Also accused in the Naval war room leak case of 2006, businessman Abhishek Verma and his Romanian wife were sent to CBI custody till Aug 21 in a forgery case by a special court here Thursday.
The letter on Maken’s forged letterhead was part of alleged dealings between Verma’s front company Ganton and a Chinese telecom company, the court said.
Opposing bail for Anca, the CBI told the court that she was managing director of Ganton. The probe agency held that she could use her position as an influential woman to tamper with evidence.
- CBI to question Abhishek Verma, wife till Aug 21 - Aug 16, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife granted bail, arrested afresh - Aug 08, 2012
- Abhishek Verma faces arrest for money laundering - Aug 21, 2012
- Abhishek Verma's wife denied bail - Aug 30, 2012
- Abhishek Verma calls fresh case politically motivated - Aug 09, 2012
- Bail plea of Abhishek Verma's wife dismissed (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife seek bail - Aug 07, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife sent to jail till July 4 (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife in CBI custody till June 21 (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Verma, wife sent to 10 days CBI custody - Sep 04, 2012
- CBI to file chargesheet against Abhishek Verma, wife Aug 7 - Aug 01, 2012
- Verma, wife sent to judicial custody in OSA case - Sep 14, 2012
- Court gives CBI papers linked to Abhishek Verma's case - Jul 17, 2012
- Abhishek Verma fails to appear in court - Jul 21, 2012
- ED to quiz Abhishek, wife - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: anca, business visa, businessman, cbi, central bureau of investigation, forgery case, ganton, graft case, judicial custody, lakh, leniency, letterhead, minister of state, naval war, personal bond, special judge, sureties, telecom company, war room, youth affairs