Grand welcome awaits bronze medallist SushilAugust 21st, 2008 - 8:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 21 (IANS) A grand reception awaits wrestler Sushil Kumar when he returns home in the wee hours Sunday with the bronze medal around his neck.A mad rush is expected at the Indira Gandhi International Airport when Sushil arrives, as he is ‘Sada Dilliwala’ (our own Delhi boy).
Apart from Sushil’s family members and relatives and almost the entire Baprola village in Najafgarh from which Sushil hails, all his fellow wrestlers, coaches and officials will be present at the airport to receive the star performer.
Around seventy wrestlers who train at the Chattarsal Stadium in North Delhi here alongside Sushil are counting the hours for his flight to land in the national capital.
“It is going to be a welcome that everyone will remember. We have ordered for banners and two-three trucks have already been booked to ferry wrestlers to the airport,” Sushil’s coach Yashvir Singh told IANS.
Sushil rose through the ranks at the Chattarsal stadium where there is no end to the festivities since he won the medal.
“He (Sushil) has given a new reason for us to continue wrestling. We will all be there with Dhols at the airport. We want to make it a memorable moment for him,” said Arvind, his roommate.
“We were all glued to television Wednesday and after that we distributed sweets and danced,” Arvind said.
Yashvir said Delhi chief Minister Sheila Dikshit would felicitate Sushil at a function Sunday.
“She said the Delhi government should be the first one to felicitate Sushil. She has called Sushil Sunday morning for the felicitation. We will then see if we can meet the Prime Minister and the President” he said.
Indian sportspersons apart from cricketers are not used to such rapturous welcome, but
the gold conquest of shooter Abhinav Bindra and Sushil Kumar’s bronze victory seem to have struck an emotional chord with the public. The Olympics seems to have produced new sporting icons for the country from disciplines not considered glamorous so far.
- Sushil, Yogeshwar return home to hero's welcome - Aug 14, 2012
- After wrestlers, Mary Kom gets frenzied reception - Aug 14, 2012
- Testing time for Sushil's new technique: Coach - Apr 02, 2012
- Team Sushil celebrates Olympic silver - Aug 12, 2012
- Stardom in Beijing, immortalized in London (Profile) (Lead, correcting dateline) - Aug 12, 2012
- Stardom in Beijing, immortalized in London (Profile) - Aug 12, 2012
- Haryana announces Rs.1.5 crore reward, land for Sushil - Aug 12, 2012
- India hails Olympic silver medallist Sushil Kumar - Aug 12, 2012
- Carnival at Baprola village as Sushil scripts history - Aug 12, 2012
- Sushil Kumar's Olympic saga (Factfile) - Aug 12, 2012
- IOA finally clears physio Patrick Kenny for Games - Jul 19, 2012
- Sushil Kumar's gold brings cheer to tainted Indian wrestling - Sep 13, 2010
- Sushil Kumar to be India's flag bearer at Olympics - Jul 15, 2012
- We are getting better at Olympics: IOA - Aug 12, 2012
- After dream medal, marriage on cards for Yogeshwar (Lead, Combining London/Chandigarh stories) - Aug 12, 2012