Graffiti of Pope, politicians on Shillong buildingsJune 18th, 2010 - 10:06 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, June 18 (IANS) The police Friday registered two complaints after allegedly blasphemous graffiti featuring the Pope, among others, appeared on key buildings in this Meghalaya capital.
The pictures had uncanny resemblances to state politicians and Governor R.S. Mooshahary, while others depicted Jesus Christ and the Pope with blasphemous remarks, the complainants said.
Two complaints have been filed, one by the Rector of Don Bosco Technical School, Father L.B. Anthony and the other by the Principal of St. Anthony’s College, Father I. Warpakma.
The police also registered a case under section 295 (A) of the Indian Penal Code for deliberate and malicious act intended to hurt the religious feeling of any class by insulting its religion or religious beliefs.
“Preliminary investigation suggests this could be the work of mischief mongers but the matter is a serious one and we are investigating it,” Superintendent of Police (East Khasi Hills District) A.R. Mawthoh told IANS.
The graffiti were found on the walls of the Raj Bhavan, the main and additional secretariat buildings and Roman Catholic Church-run educational institutions.
Condemning the acts, the Archbishop of Shillong, Dominic Jala, said that the church was surprised by this act.
“We are unsure about the motive behind this,” Jala told IANS
- Meghalaya governor's aide accused of molestation - Jan 23, 2012
- Meghalaya governor's aide accused of molestation, denies charge (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Christmas celebrated with fervour in Meghalaya - Dec 25, 2011
- Body of drowned Briton taken home - Jun 29, 2011
- Three Meghalaya rebels nabbed - Nov 25, 2011
- Meghalaya celebrates Easter - Apr 24, 2011
- Ex-member of rebel group held in Meghalaya - Feb 24, 2012
- Solar panels stolen from Meghalaya Raj Bhavan - Aug 12, 2012
- Strike hits Republic Day in Meghalaya - Jan 26, 2011
- Seven injured in cylinder blasts in Meghalaya - Jul 20, 2011
- Arms, ammunition seized from Shillong school - Oct 31, 2010
- GNLA chief arrested in Meghalaya - Jul 30, 2012
- NEHU students, vice-chancellor head for showdown - Oct 18, 2010
- Governor laments rising militancy in Meghalaya - Jan 26, 2012
- Two people injured in bomb explosion - May 02, 2012
Tags: dominic, don bosco technical school, east khasi hills, educational institutions, graffiti, indian penal code, jala, jesus christ, malicious act, mischief, mongers, preliminary investigation, raj bhavan, religious beliefs, roman catholic church, s college, secretariat, shillong, st anthony, state politicians