Gradual improvement in Vajpayee’s healthFebruary 20th, 2009 - 12:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 20 (IANS) Former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, who is being treated for chest infection at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) here, is showing signs of “gradual improvement”, doctors at AIIMS said here Friday.
“Vajpayee is in the ICU (intensive care unit). He is off the ventilator and is showing gradual improvement,” said AIIMS Medical Superintendent D.K. Sharma.
The 84-year-old veteran Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader was taken off the ventilator Sunday. He underwent a tracheotomy surgery for smoother airway management and was put on minimal ventilator support Saturday.
Tracheotomy is a surgical procedure in the neck to open a direct airway through an incision in the windpipe. Vajpayee was admitted to the hospital after he complained of difficulty in breathing Feb 3.
- Vajpayee showing improvement, Gujral discharged - Feb 19, 2009
- Vajpayee still in ICU, but stable - Feb 17, 2009
- Vajpayee taken off ventilator, stable - Feb 15, 2009
- Vajpayee's health improving, say doctors - Feb 16, 2009
- Vajpayee on minimal ventilator support, breathing on his own - Feb 14, 2009
- Vajpayee likely to be discharged in next few days - Feb 26, 2009
- Vajpayee''s health better - Feb 14, 2009
- Vajpayee''s health improving - Feb 18, 2009
- Vajpayee fully conscious and breathing on his own: AIIMS - Feb 15, 2009
- Vajpayee''s health improving, say AIIMS doctors - Feb 19, 2009
- Vajpayee showing steady improvement:AIIMS - Feb 23, 2009
- Vajpayee undergoes health checkup - Aug 22, 2010
- Vajpayee still in ICU, but shows improvement - Feb 10, 2009
- Vajpayee continues gradual progress - Feb 13, 2009
- Vajpayee undergoes check-up at AIIMS (Lead) - Mar 21, 2009