GPRS deployed for Mahi’s rescue operationJune 22nd, 2012 - 10:16 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, June 22 (IANS) Forty-four hours after four-year-old Mahi was trapped in a 70-feet deep borewell in Manesar town near here, modern technology was deployed Friday evening to locate her exact position, an official said.
“On Friday evening, experts with Ground Penetrating Radar System (GPRS) were called to assist the rescue team. It is a technology that provides critical information on potential obstructions within existing underground structures with three-dimensional images,” said a senior officer who was part of the rescue team.
Earlier, the big bore machine from Rapid Metro achieved its target of digging a l75-feet tunnel parallel to the borewell in the early hours of Friday.
“The gap between both the bores is about 8-feet. While digging the tunnel to reach the target (Mahi), from new bore to borewell, a big piece of hill stone became a big barrier. Due to this, the rescue team missed the goal,” the officer further added.
An army Engineer regiment from Delhi and National Security Guard (NSG) personnel have taken on the task of rescuing the child.
According to an official, an extra supply of oxygen was provided through a pipe to Mahi and army men inside the tunnel.
Mahi slipped into the borewell near Manesar’s Industrial Model Township (IMT) on National Highway-8, when her family was celebrating her birthday around 11 p.m. Wednesday.
Mahi is the daughter of Niraj Upadhyay, who hails from Uttar Pradesh’s Aligarh district. Niraj is a security supervisor at a factory in Manesar and was living in Kasan village with his wife Sonia and another two-year-old daughter.
Police have booked the plot owner, Rohtash Singh, a resident of Najafgarh in New Delhi.
Despite several raids, he could not be arrested, said Om Prakash, Manesar station house officer.
- Rescue operations still on for baby in borewell - Jun 22, 2012
- Girl remains trapped for over 60 hours in borewell - Jun 23, 2012
- Mahi trapped in borewell not responding to calls (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Man who dug Mahi's death trap sent to jail - Jul 08, 2012
- After 86 long hours, Mahi is dead (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Court rejects bail to accused in Mahi death case - Jun 29, 2012
- Six people responsible for Mahi's death, says inquiry - Sep 21, 2012
- Mahi is dead; end came on first or second day, doctors say (Second Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Four-year-old falls in borewell in Haryana - Jun 21, 2012
- Two held for digging illegal borewell in Gurgaon - Jun 28, 2012
- Anger, sorrow as Mahi dies in Haryana borewell (Roundup) - Jun 24, 2012
- Girl out of borewell, taken to hospital (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Mahi is dead, says doctor - Jun 24, 2012
- Notice to village head in Mahi's death in borewell - Jun 26, 2012
- Teenager falls into well in West Bengal - Jun 24, 2012
Tags: aligarh district, army engineer, army men, bores, engineer regiment, exact position, ground penetrating radar, house officer, industrial model, model township, nsg, radar system, s industrial, security supervisor, station house, target, three dimensional images, underground structures, upadhyay, wife sonia