Governor sends report on Jharkhand political crisis (Lead)January 17th, 2009 - 12:40 am ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Jan 16 (IANS) Is Jharkhand headed for President’s rule? The speculation gained ground after Governor Syed Sibte Razi Friday sent a report to the central government on the political crisis in the state after Shibu Soren resigned as chief minister. According to sources, Razi is believed to have asked the central government to take a decision - an indication that the state could be headed for president’s rule.
Sources in the governor’s house said Razi has apprised the central government of the failure of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government to name the next chief minister.
In his report, the governor has also mentioned the view of various political parties in the state. The sources said it was now up to the central government to decide on what to do, adding that Razi had expressed unhappiness over the current scenario in the state.
The Jharkhand unit of the Congress, a key component of the ruling UPA, Friday said the state was inching towards President’s rule, while earlier in the day the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) staged a demonstration outside the governor’s house to demand central rule and fresh elections.
Soren resigned Monday under pressure from the UPA leaders after he lost the Tamar assembly byelection last week, failing in his bid to become a member of the state legislature within six months as required by the constitution. He took over as chief minister Aug 27 last year.
The state plunged into political crisis as the UPA failed to unanimously decide on his successor.
- Jharkhand governor sends report on state's political scenario - Jan 16, 2009
- Jharkhand Governor reviews situation after president's rule approved - Jan 19, 2009
- Cabinet recommends president's rule in Jharkhand - Jan 19, 2009
- President's rule in Jharkhand, opposition unhappy (Roundup) - Jan 19, 2009
- BJP demands president's rule in Jharkhand - Jan 16, 2009
- Soren has a history of not quitting easily - May 04, 2010
- BJP demands president's rule in Jharkhand - Jan 09, 2009
- Soren flays Lalu for ruling out alternative Jharkhand government - Feb 01, 2009
- Advani upset over coalition with JMM in Jharkhand - Sep 10, 2010
- Union Cabinet decides to extend President's rule in Jharkhand - Jul 02, 2009
- Soren quits as chief minister, wants nominee to succeed him (Lead) - Jan 12, 2009
- President's Rule to be revoked in Jharkhand - Dec 27, 2009
- Jharkhand in political flux, president's rule likely - May 31, 2010
- Soren in Ranchi hospital after chest pain - Jan 13, 2009
- Soren quits as chief minister, wants nominee as successor (Second Lead) - Jan 12, 2009