Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilitiesJuly 17th, 2012 - 12:23 am ICT by IANS
Jammu, July 16 (IANS) Jammu and Kashmir Governor N.N. Vohra, who is also the chairman of Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB) that conducts the annual pilgrimage to the cave shrine, Monday reviewed the sanitation arrangements along the routes taken by devotees.
So far, nearly 500,000 pilgrims have visited the cave shrine. The pilgrimage began on June 25 and would conclude Aug 2.
The governor said that after the culmination of this year’s yatra, a sanitation drive would be launched to rid the camp sites and the tracks of garbage.
According to a SASB spokesman, the governor directed that a special sanitation drive should be launched by the Pahalgam and Sonamarg development authorities.
Vohra also told the board officials to intensify the cleanliness and sanitation measures within the camps and on the Baltal-Brarimarg-Sangam track.
The governor discussed with Tourism Minister Nawang Rigzin Jora the need for identifying measures for protection of environment and ecology of the yatra area.
The cave shrine is situated at the altitude of 3,888 metres in the Pir Panjal range. There are two routes to approach the shrine, one from Pahalgam and another from Baltal.
An ice lingam or a naturally formed stalagmite of snow considered as an icon of Lord Shiva, Hindu god of destruction, is the main attraction of the cave shrine.
- Preparations begin for Amarnath pilgrimage - Mar 21, 2012
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- 15,000 pilgrims start this year's Amarnath Yatra (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- Enhanced healthcare ordered for Amarnath pilgrims - Jul 09, 2012
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Preparations for 2012 Amarnath pilgrimage begin - Oct 16, 2011
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Unregistered Amarnath pilgrims cause chaos - Jun 28, 2012
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- Annual Hindu pilgrimage of Amarnath to start June 25 - Feb 26, 2012
- Amarnath Yatra ends peacefully - Aug 13, 2011
- Heavy rain disrupts Amarnath pilgrim's movement - Jun 25, 2012
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
Tags: amarnath shrine, board officials, cleanliness and sanitation, development authorities, god of destruction, hindu god of destruction, ice lingam, jammu and kashmir, lord shiva, main attraction, pahalgam, pir panjal range, protection of environment, sanitation measures, sasb, shrine board, sonamarg, stalagmite, tourism minister, vohra