Government will borrow Rs.460 bn by late MarchFebruary 10th, 2009 - 5:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 10 (IANS) With the economic crisis taking a toll on the Indian economy, the government plans to borrow Rs.460 billion (about $9.45 billion) by late March from the market, a senior finance ministry official said Tuesday.
“We already had discussions with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI). The borrowing will be between Feb 20 and March 20 to the order of Rs.46,000 crore,” Department of Economic Affairs Secretary Ashok Chawla told reporters after meeting RBI Deputy Governor Shyamala Gopinath.
He said the extra borrowing would be done in four tranches.
“The stimulus is almost running into Rs.1.5 trillion ($31 billion) by way of excess expenditure and Rs.500 billion by way of loss of revenue from direct and indirect taxes,” Chawla had told reporters Monday.
“This year because of stimulus, because of downturn, the (borrowing) requirement has been more. Therefore, whatever is the requirement of the government, it will have to be met through borrowing,” he had said.
–Indo-Asian News service
- Government to borrow $64 bn in first half of 2010-11 - Mar 29, 2010
- RBI to notify proposal allowing airlines to access foreign funds - Apr 19, 2012
- India to borrow $55.6 bn in first six months of 2011-12 - Mar 25, 2011
- FDI in retail at appropriate time: Official - Jul 05, 2012
- ADB raises growth forecast for India (Second Lead) - Sep 22, 2009
- EU urges Greece to reaffirm reform commitment - Nov 08, 2011
- RBI to take new anti-inflation steps - Apr 18, 2011
- Highlights of Pranab Mukherjee's budget for 2011-12 - Feb 28, 2011
- Pakistan's public debt stands at Rs.9.47 trillion - Feb 02, 2011
- India raises overseas investment limit in government, corporate bonds (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Euro falters over Italy, Greece political uncertainty - Nov 09, 2011
- Jairam Ramesh backs real-time monitoring of forests - Mar 26, 2011
- Post office savings account interest be hiked, says panel - Jun 07, 2011
- Pakistan finalises Rs.3.8 trillion budget - May 27, 2011
- Suven Life gets two more US patents - Sep 14, 2009