Government to overshoot expenditure estimateFebruary 16th, 2009 - 5:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 16 (IANS) The government Monday revised the total expenditure estimate in the current fiscal to a little over Rs.9 trillion (Rs.900,953 crore), an increase of Rs.1.5 trillion (Rs.150,069 crore) on account of increased assistance to states, greater sectoral investments and a higher subsidy burden.
In the interim budget that he presented in the Lok Sabha, External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee hiked the plan expenditure by Rs.395.71 billion (Rs.39,571 crore) to Rs.2.82 trillion (Rs.282,957 crore), against the budgeted estimate of Rs.2.43 trillion (Rs.243,386 crore).
This was on account of increase in assistance to states and more expenditure towards sectors such as rural development, atomic energy and telecommunications.
On the non-plan side, spending estimates were revised to Rs.1.1 trillion (Rs.110,498 crore) because of a subsidy burden.
According to revised estimates, the government has increased subsidy on fertilisers by Rs.448.63 billion (Rs.44,863 crore), Rs.109.6 billion (Rs.10,960 crore) on food and Rs.150 billion (Rs.15,000 crore) on Agricultural Debt Waiver and Debt Relief Scheme.
Additional spending of Rs.76.05 billion (Rs.7,605 crore) on pensions, Rs.51.49 billion (Rs.5,149 crore) on police and Rs.90 billion (Rs.9,000 crore) on defence led to overshooting of earlier spending estimates.
The budget for 2009-10 will have total expenditure of Rs.9.53 trillion (Rs.953,231 crore), comprising Rs.2.85 trillion (Rs.285,149 crore) under plan and Rs.6.68 trillion (Rs. 668,082 crore) under non-plan.
The gross budgetary support for the plan is 17.16 percent higher than that in 2008-09.
- Sources and application of federal budget money - Feb 28, 2011
- Highlights of interim budget (Roundup) - Feb 16, 2009
- Tax-free, revenue-surplus budget for Andhra Pradesh - Feb 23, 2011
- Andhra presents Rs.1.45 lakh crore budget (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Highlights of interim budget presented in Lok Sabha (Fifth Lead) - Feb 16, 2009
- Delhi assembly passes vote-on-account - Mar 21, 2012
- Tax on alcohol, tobacco products hiked in Meghalaya budget - Mar 19, 2012
- 11 percent hike in defence budget to push modernisation (Second Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Highlights of Interim Budget 2009-10 - Feb 16, 2009
- Budget: Minority girl students to get free cycles - Mar 16, 2012
- Budget boost for women, child development programmes - Mar 16, 2012
- Oil firms ask government to compensate them - Apr 17, 2012
- Dhumal government woos its babus with eye on polls (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Mar 24, 2012
- Pakistan raises defence budget to $5.2 bn - Jun 05, 2010
- Andhra presents Rs.1.45 lakh crore budget - Feb 17, 2012